Kate, Mother (1840-1923) Foundress of St Saviour's Priory, Haggerston, an autonomous house of the Sisters of St Margaret, and Mother 1868-1923; Fr Patten claimed that hearing her name in a psychic experience led him to ask Mother Cicely of that Priory to send Sisters to help with the Shrine at a time when he was desperate for help in early 1947; Sisters in Walsingham; photograph; see her biography by The Sisters of S. Saviour's Priory in the CLA Oxford Prophets Series no 10 (1983). Kemp, Bishop Eric Waldram b 27 Apr 1915; d 28 Nov 2009; Honorary Guardian 1977-98; Emeritus 1998-2009; Bishop of Chichester 1974-2001. Kenilworth Priory is the building modelled at the feet of the effigy of Sir Geoffrey de Clinton in the Shrine Church; he founded the Priory and this is incorrectly described as the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem in the text of the Shrine' s first Pocket Guide. Kenrick, Fr Henry William Gordon led first walking pilgrimage to Walsingham 1935; and see Fr Colin Stephenson’s reminiscences; and William Davage, 'Father Kenrick' in Pusey House Journal 2008-2009, pp 16-17. Kimbley, Susan Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2015. King, Laurence d 9 Dec 1981; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 113; architect of Guild of All Souls' Chapel and of the restored St Mary’s parish church after the 1961 fire; Lay Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-81; responsible for commissioning works from Gordon Beningfield, John Hayward and Siegfried Pietsch. King, Major Patrick Whittenham Lay Guardian 1991-2006; Guardian Emeritus from 2006; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St George stall on north side of chancel. King, Professor Ursula author of a learned study of pilgrimage to Walsingham during the Middle Ages and today, written to accompany a German exhibition on pilgrimage in 1984.; although once described as "the best overview of Walsingham ever written" [for its time] it is little known. King Charles I Fr Patten gave the statue soon after the Shrine church was opened and it was blessed on 29 Jan 1939; resited to niche on the south stairs 1980. Kingdon, Fr Claude Drewitt 1859-1949; brother of Fr Reginald Kingdon [below]; bequeathed advowson of Whitstone (Devon) to the Shrine; see Michael Yelton, Outposts of the Faith (2009), chapter2. Kingdon, Fr Reginald Arthur (known as Reggie) b 1868; d 26 Apr 1955; brother of Fr Claude Kingdon [above]; Founding Priest Guardian 1931-46; Guardian Emeritus 1946-55; was one of the first Guardians Emeriti as his fellow Guardians felt that it was time for him to retire and created the status; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; All Saints stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; see Eve Hostettler, The Anglican Church on the Isle of Dogs (2004), Michael Yelton, Outposts of the Faith (2009), chapter 2, Michael Yelton, The Twenty One (2009), pp 71-73. Kitchin, Audrey Everard b 10 May 1894; d 22 Nov 1969; frequent pilgrim in the 1920s and 1930s; left many early photographs and postcards to the Shrine. Klyberg, Bishop Charles John Guardian 1991-97; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Columba stall on south side of chancel. Knights Gate owned and sold by the Shrine several times; at one time a popular café; last purchased 2002; last sold 2005 and now developed into private homes. back to top Lambert, Uvedale Henry b 25 Apr 1909; d 15 Sept 1983; Lay Guardian 1952-83; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 99-100; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Edward stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Lauderdale, [17th] Earl of (Patrick Maitland) b 17 Mar 1911; d 2 Dec 2008; Lay Guardian 1955-82; Emeritus 1982-2008; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Hilary stall on north side of chancel; and see William Davage, Anglo-Catholicism and Aristocracy (reprint of First Clumber Lecture, 2009, available from Worksop Priory); referred to as The Hon Patrick Maitland, The Master of Lauderdale, before succeeding to the title in 1968; photograph in Guardians Gallery. League of Our Lady second pilgrimage 1923; League pilgrimages from Birmingham from 1932; photograph; 1931 the League of Our Lady (founded 1904) amalgamated with the Confraternity of Our Lady (founded 1880) to become The Society of Mary; the League played a vital role in the revival of pilgrimage to Walsingham, from its first pilgrimage in October 1922, three months after the statue was set up in the parish church; some of its officers were original Guardians of the Shrine; a souvenir book of photographs - People, Places and Things (2006) contains many photographs with Walsingham connections. lectern in the Shrine church given 1996 in memory of Fr Carefull by the Theodore Trust (a charitable trust which he had set up before he died); made by Simon Marshall. Legend of Norfolk, A short film on the history of Walsingham and the Shrine made by the Catholic Truth Society 1937, prepared by Martin Gillett. Leonard, Bishop Graham Douglas b 8 May 1921; d 6 Jan 2010; Honorary Guardian 1970–2000; Bishop of Truro 1973-81; Bishop of London 1981-91. Lingwood, Fr Derrick Albert b 17 Mar 1910; d 5 Apr 1972; Founding Lay Guardian 1931; became Priest Guardian on ordination 23 Sept 1934; Bursar and Registrar 1931-56; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Patrick stall on north side of chancel; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 100-102; one of the six carved heads in the Shrine church roof; photograph in Guardians Gallery; left Walsingham to become incumbent of St Martin's, Barton, Torquay 1956. Little Guide, The Fr Patten's first guide to the newly-opened Holy House, October 1931, and editions in 1932, 1935, 1938, 1939; scanned copies of two editions; available on Publications website. Littler, Gwyneth gave the long brown rosary to the Shrine, still used in Shrine prayers. Living Rosary of Our Lady and St Dominic the statue on south side of Annunciation Altar given 1952 in memory of Martin Havergal by members of the Living Rosary of Our Lady and St Dominic (founded 1905); replaced in the 1980s by the new Richeldis statue, but soon restored (to north side) at the request of the Order. Lloyd, Fr Denys CR Guardian 1986-90; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Columba stall on south side of chancel; photograph. Lloyd, the Misses were in Fr Patten's congregation at Carshalton 1920-21 and later moved to Walsingham to help in the early days of the restoration of the Shrine. Lockett, Fr Paul Honorary Chaplain to the Queen from 2012; Chantry Priest 2012-17; Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2012. Loddiges, Miss Helena 1880-1975; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1953- 75; she is thought to have contributed financially to St Joseph's chapel;the Shrine has a chalice engraved underfoot with "Pray for Helena Loddiges". London Committee for Walsingham Fr Fynes-Clinton pioneered the promotion of the Walsingham restoration to London churches; 1920s founded informal clergy committee called the Walsingham Clergy Fund, to supplement Fr Patten's meagre stipend and to enable an assistant priest to be appointed; during changing circumstances of wartime in 1943 this became the London Committee for Walsingham, chaired by Fr Twisaday; concentrated on building up Devotions in May and October, when money was raised for the Shrine, on arranging a London mass in July, and on propaganda and advertisement for the Shrine and its activities; organised the Priests' Pilgrimages, relieving Shrine Office of work, and arranged Walsingham meetings in towns and cities in southern England; then changed name to the Central Committee for Walsingham; behind the 1957 Appeal, and the formation of the Friends of Walsingham; its work later subsumed into the general reorganisations of Shrine supporters. London pilgrimage, first 1928, led by Fr Eves of St Alban's Holborn. Long, George Edwin d 23 Oct 1960; Founding Lay Guardian 1931; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Wilfrid stall on south side of chancel; churchwarden of St Mary's, Walsingham; Fr Patten's right-hand man; photograph in Guardians Gallery. long brown rosary given by Gwyneth Littler and still used in Shrine prayers. Lunn, Fr Graham Edward Shrine Priest from 2015; Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2015. Lury, Fr Harford Elton d 1 Jan 1940; Founding Priest Guardian 1931; married, but this was glossed over at the time as Fr Patten needed him; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John Vianney (Curé d’Ars) stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; see Michael Yelton, The Twenty One (2009), pp 73-76. back to top McIntyre, Amanda Lay Guardian from 2015. McIntyre CMP, Fr Mark Guardian from 2019. Maclagan, Sir Eric William Dalrymple d 14 Sept 1951; Founding Lay Guardian 1931; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Edward stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Maitland, Patrick see under Lauderdale, Earl of Mantle, Richard Lay Guardian from 1998; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Clare stall on north side of chancel. maps Enid Chadwick's 1935 map of the village; revised 1963; an edited version of the 1963 map was prepared for the Shrine's Pocket Guide, with later additions; the current bird's-eye- view plan of the grounds was drawn by Jeremy Rays, 2006. Margaret Mary, Sister and Mother d 18 Apr 1969; returned to Haggerston in 1968 and is buried in the SSM burial plot in the City of London Cemetery; memorial in St Mary's Walsingham churchyard; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-69; one of the three sisters who arrived from Haggerston 16 Apr 1947; played the Shrine organ when necessary; The Sisters in Walsingham; photographs and obituary. Marie Louise, Princess 1872-1956; granddaughter of Queen Victoria; visited as a pilgrim frequently before the War and claimed to be "the first of our family to visit Walsingham since Henry VIII". Marlow, Barbara Lay Guardian 1997-2012; Guardian Emerita from 2012; first female Guardian; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Hugh stall on south side of chancel. married Guardians see The Guardians Marshall, Simon maker of the memorial lectern and items of sanctuary furniture in the Shrine church. Martin, Andrew worked in the Shrine and acted as beadle from time to time between William Frary's death (1953) and appointment of Leonard Whitmore (1957). Martin, Miss Matron of St Hilary's. Mary Kathleen, Sister d 2007; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1990-2007. Mary Lioba, Sister see The Anchoresses Mary Magdalene, Mother see The Anchoresses Mary Phillida, Sister see The Anchoresses Mary Teresa, Sister and Mother Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2000; see The Sisters in Walsingham. Maryon-Wilson, The Revd Sir George Percy Maryon [12th] bt b 22 Feb 1897; d 11 July 1965; Guardian 1935-65; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St George stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Masters of the Guardians list of medieval Walsingham the Shrine holds no archives of medieval Walsingham but in the Medieval website there are copies of articles and documents relating to its archaeology and history; there are also copies of Fr Patten's writings on the medieval Shrine. Milky Way see Walsingham Way Milner, Sir William Frederick Victor Mordaunt [8th] bt b 2 Oct 1893; d 29 Mar 1960 (not 19 Mar as sometimes given); succeeded father 1931; major benefactor of the Shrine, giving land and great financial assistance, and many unreported acts of generosity; Founding Lay Guardian 1931; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Wilfrid stall on south side of chancel; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 102- 104; and see Heather M Beaumont, Sir William Milner (1985); buried in Burnsall churchyard, not in the specially-consecrated ground at Parcevall Hall as he had wished; one of the six carved heads in the Shrine church roof; photograph in Guardians Gallery; iconic photograph at head of Translation procession 1931; his reminiscences. Milner & Craze architectural partnership of Sir William Milner and Romilly Bernard Craze; responsible for design of many of the Shrine buildings and of Parcevall Hall. Milner Wing opened 8 October 2009 by The Duke of Edinburgh. 'Miss Will' name by which Miss Dorothy Williams was affectionately known. Mitcham, Andrew Mark Guardian 2002-16. Monahan, Bridget b 1 May 1910; d 15 Aug 2009; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1992-2009; encouraged Sister Mary Lioba as anchoress in Walsingham grounds; daughter of Fr William Beattie Monahan of St Swithun's with Old St Martin's, Worcester; 1931 her eldest sister was the first person to lead a Children's Pilgrimage to Walsingham, from St Mary the Virgin Kettering, where her husband, Fr Douglas Cooper, was Vicar for 19 years; reminiscences. Money, Richard local stone carver who did work in the 1938 Shrine Church. Morley, John Geoffrey Nicholson [not Morely] b 17 Apr 1905; d 15 Apr 1983; Lay Guardian 1964-68 (installed just before the blessing of the North Cloister); Guardian Emeritus 1968-83; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; his name is not on a Guardians’ stall; Times political journalist. Morris, David Freestone [Augustine in religion] b 19 Aug 1905; d 20 Jan 1997; Guardian 1960-80; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John stall on north side of chancel; Abbot of Nashdom 1948-74; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Morris, Stephen Lay Guardian 2008-11. Mortimer, Robert Cecil d 11 Sept 1976; Honorary Guardian 1970-76; Bishop of Exeter 1949-73. Mother see under name in religion. top of page

Archive Select Index

K L M

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z