Ackerman, Bishop Keith Lynn Bishop of Quincy 1994-2008; Honorary Guardian from 1996.Adderley, Hubert Bowyer Arden seeunderNorton, Lord [6th Baron]Adderley, John Arden seeunderNorton, Lord [7th Baron]Albert Hall Rally 4 Nov 1961; Church Union Rally to bring the Shrine to the notice of a wider circle of Church people by showing the relevance of Our Lady in the central fact of our faith, the Incarnation.Alexandra, Princess opened the new [third] Refectory 21 July 2001.Allen, Fr Derek Williamb 2 Nov 1925; d 12 Jan 1991; Guardian 1970-1991; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Cuthbert stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; see edPeter G Cobb, Derek William Allen, Priest (1992).Altar of the Annunciation the First Joyful Mystery: Chapel of St Gabriel and St Vincent (1938: Society of Mary, The Living Rosary and St Dominic); in 1931, when only the Holy House and its covering building were built, Fr Patten called the whole building 'The Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary' with its altar of the Annunciation; facing the west door of the Shrine Church, visiting it is the first act of a pilgrimage; he always called it the Annunciation Altar as distinct from his use of the word Chapel for all the other Mysteries; in later years he referred to it as the Chapel of the Society of Mary with its altar dedicated to the Annunciation; Donald Hole (author of England's Nazareth) and some popular writers have referred to it as the Annunciation Chapel but all Shrine literature has Altar; the retable is a copy of The Annunciation by della Robbia (at La Verna in Tuscany) given by the Society of Mary 1939 and painted, sometimes in many colours, by Enid Chadwick; altar restored by Society of Mary as part of their Jubilee Thanksgiving and blessed 1 May 1971 by the Bishop of Willesden [Graham Leonard], in preparation for which Enid Chadwick repainted the della Robbia in blue and white, with gold haloes; 2002 refurbishment in memory of Bishop Brian Masters, which included a permanent lectern and refurbishment of altar step; at that time the della Robbia was repainted and the gold removed; see also statues of St Dominic and Richeldis.Altar of the Church Overseas the name given for a time to the restored Halifax Altar. For the history of the Altar please see the OLM website, 1933. The pages relating to the Halifax Altar are to be duplicated on this site in the near future; two pictures showing part of the refurbished altar are on the Anchoressespage.Altar of the Mysteries of Light built in Shrine gardens 2005; designed by Cowper Griffith Associates; dedicated to the five additional Mysteries established by Pope John Paul II; these are: Christ's Baptism in the Jordan, The Wedding at Cana, The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God, The Transfiguration, The Institution of the Eucharist; its Latin inscription lumen gentium means ‘Light of the Nations’.ambulatory this word, meaning a place for walking, after the style of a cloister, was used from the time of the opening of the Holy House in 1931 until the whole Shrine Church extension was built in 1938; the Holy House was covered by the Novum Opus, its outer protecting chapel, and inside this the walkway around three sides of the Holy House was known as the Ambulatory (the North, Eastern and South, the west side being the Annunciation Altar and the main west door); at that time there was no Shrine Church (built 1938), and no cloisters (built 1964 and 1972) as now.amplifying system the first system was installed in 1966 to enable the Shrine organ to be heard in the gardens and help the singing at the Saturday evening Procession.anchoressesseeThe AnchoressesAnderson, Fr Thomas Bishell d 17 Jan 1978; Guardian 1963-78; buried in St Mary's churchyard, Walsingham; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Columba stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery.Angela, Sisterd 1997; one of the three sisters who arrived from Haggerston 16 Apr 1947; sacristan at the Shrine for over 40 years; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1972-97; The Sisters in Walsingham; photograph.animals Although he owned dogs and cats himself, Fr Patten was insistent that no pets of any kind were to be brought to the Shrine, as some pilgrims did in the early days; the majority of pilgrims were accommodated in villagers' houses, and their hosts sometimes objected to housing pets as well and refused to take any more pilgrims; dogs: Fr Patten's favourite dog was Caesar, brown in colour, and Fr Lingwood's black dog was called Wizard and can be seen on the south wall of St Hugh's chapel mural; nowadays dogs, other than assistance dogs, are not allowed in the Shrine grounds; photograph of Enid Chadwick's dog Bobby; cats: Fr Patten had a cat called Nicholas, which accompanied him into the Shrine church and can be seen in the murals in St Joseph's chapel; when Fr Colin Stephenson became Administrator he kept cats, the most famous being High and Low, who roamed the grounds and were often found in the Shrine church; he frequently wrote of their doings in the Walsingham Review; tortoise: Fr Patten owned a tortoise which after his death was looked after at St Hilary's.Annunciation Altarthe First Joyful Mystery: Chapel of St Gabriel and St Vincent (1938: Society of Mary, The Living Rosary and St Dominic) in 1931, when only the Holy House and its covering building were built, Fr Patten called the whole building 'The Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary' with its altar of the Annunciation; facing the west door of the Shrine Church, visiting it is the first act of a pilgrimage; he always called it the Annunciation Altar as distinct from his use of the word Chapel for all the other Mysteries; in later years he referred to it as the Chapel of the Society of Mary with its altar dedicated to the Annunciation; Donald Hole (in England's Nazareth; see the Publications website.) and some popular writers have referred to it as the Annunciation Chapel but all Shrine literature has Altar; the retable is a copy of The Annunciation by della Robbia (at La Verna in Tuscany) given by the Society of Mary 1939 and painted, sometimes in many colours, by Enid Chadwick; altar restored by Society of Mary as part of their Jubilee Thanksgiving and blessed 1 May 1971 by the Bishop of Willesden [Graham Leonard], in preparation for which Enid Chadwick repainted the della Robbia in blue and white, with gold haloes; 2002 refurbishment in memory of Bishop Brian Masters, which included a permanent lectern and refurbishment of altar step; at that time the della Robbia was repainted and the gold removed; see also statues of St Dominic and Richeldis.arch in Holt Road built 1957 as part of the whole left-side extension to Stella Maris Hospice [now called Stella Maris House] and joined the two accommodation buildings; extension finished and in use in 1956, and the final part of the project - the gate - completed soon afterwards, in 1957; the anonymous [at the time] donor of the archway and whole left side was Eleanor Buston, who built it in memory of her parents, whose initials, with a third set presumably representing a sibling, are shown on the plaque on the archway wall; this plaque recording the gift has been set neatly into the wall of the refurbished gate, which was rededicated and renamed The Brandie Gate in 2009, in honour of Fr Beau Brandie MBE, in recognition of his contribution to the work of the Shrine, and in particular of his work as Chief Steward at The National Pilgrimage; the accommodation on the left side was demolished to make way for the Milner Wing in 2008; this had been the gateway into the Shrine gardens.archaeologysee the Medieval Walsingham website.archbishopssee under surnamearchitects working for the Shrine Sir William Milner was a partner in the firm Milner & Craze (Romilly Craze), which was responsible for most of the early work in the Shrine; Feilden and Mawson, architectural firm working on Shrine buildings in1966; Anthony Rossi designed Richeldis House; the architect for the Sisters' convent was a Mr Page; see alsoSir Ninian Comper; Laurence King.Argyll, [10th] Duke of (Niall Diarmid Campbell) b 16 Feb 1872; d 20 Aug 1949; Founding Lay Guardian 1931-49; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Francis stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; contrary to some statements he did visit the Shrine, in its early days; worshipped at All Saints Inverary, refurbished that and installed a statue of Our Lady of Walsingham there; promoted Catholic faith in Episcopal Church of Scotland; founder member of SSPP.armorial bearingsseeThe Guardians' Grant of Arms.arrow badge one design of the brooch-type badges worn by medieval pilgrims to the Shrine: a circular brooch with the Annunciation set within a circle which in turn is within a six-pointed star: one badge was like this, and another design had this brooch set on a broad arrow; moulds for these badges have been found locally, and are in museums in London, Norfolk and elsewhere; 1935 Fr Patten had a replica struck and these were sold in the Shrine Shop.artists and sculptors working for or commissioned by the Shrine included Enid Chadwick; James Dagless and his sister Lilian; Fr Eustace Hand; Anthony Baynes; Ian Howgate; John Hayward; Gordon Beningfield;Siegfried Pietsch; Jane Quail; David Begbie; see also H M Price.Ascension, Chapel of the name sometimes used for chapel of St Francis and St Clare, as it is the chapel of the Second Glorious Mystery: The Ascension (1938: Church Union (Seven Years Association)).Ashman, Fr John Edmund George Guardian 1992-96; installed 1993; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Joseph stall on north side of chancel.Asia, first shrine in ColomboAthenagoras II of Thyateira and Great Britain, The Most Reverend Metropolitan b 1912; d 9 Sept 1979; Honorary Guardian 1965-79; his Guardian's medal is in the Museum in Patmos Monastery.top of pageBack, George local grocer, as well as parish church organist, whom Fr Patten asked to bid on his behalf at auction in 1924 to secure the property and grounds then known as 'The Beeches', now known as Stella Maris House.Baily, Constance one of the two ladies who, with one priest, made up the ‘failed’ first pilgrimage, 1922.Baker, Bishop Jonathan Mark Richard Guardian from 2006; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Anne stall on north side of chancel; Bishop of Ebbsfleet 2011-13; Bishop of Fulham from 2013.Bales, Fr Charles Noel b 7 Dec 1907; d 1996; Marshland St James (incumbent 1942-92); see Michael Yelton, Outposts of the Faith (2009), chapter 6.balladssee The Walsingham Ballads in the Medieval Walsingham website Banister, Fr Desmond Headmaster, Quainton Hall School 1998-2009; Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2006.Banks, Bishop Norman Parish Priest of Walsingham 2000-11; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2006; Honorary Chaplain to the Queen 2009-11; Bishop of Richborough from 2011.bannersthe archives contain several of the banners brought to Walsingham on the prewar pilgrimages: League of Our Lady 1922-31, Catholic League 1927, 1928 (one banner), Norwich Anglo-Catholic Congress 1928, Yorkshire 1928, Suffolk 1932, Oakworth 1933-40; the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham banner was made 1928 in memory of Miss Alice Hussey, one of first members and a benefactor; the Walsingham parish banner of Our Lady; 1955 design painted on linen by Enid Chadwick, copies sold to be mounted on SOLW banners.Banson, John (known as Jack) d 9 December 1978; Founding Lay Guardian 1931; for obituary see edPeter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 92-93; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Wilfrid stall on south side of chancel; churchwarden of St Mary's, Walsingham; photograph in Guardians Gallery.Barham, HMS WW2ship on which Fr Burnett RNVR was serving as Chaplain; he died when it was sunk 25 November 1941.Barn Chapel behind the Refectory, created as a place for silent prayer 2002; steel sculpture (Crucifix) by David Begbie 2004.Barnes, Fr John Edgar Parish Priest of Walsingham, 1977-89; author of Alfred Hope Patten (1983); Ghost Stories of a Norfolk Parson (1986), George Ratcliffe Woodward 1848-1934, Priest, Poet and Musician (1996).Barnes, Fr Philip Richard Shrine Priest 2003-08; Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 2003-16; Interim Administrator 2016; Guardian from 2016.Bartholomew, Miss Jessie Mary (known as Barty) d 7 Jan 1971; Matron of St Hilary's 1948-69; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-71; buried at St Mary's, Walsingham; her obituaryBarty name by which Miss Bartholomew [above], Matron of St Hilary's, was affectionately known.Barwell, James Howard d 15 Feb 1988; Lay Guardian 1961-86; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Thomas stall on south side of chancel.bathing pools term first used for the holy wells in the Abbey grounds when used for sprinkling in early pilgrimages; a bathing pool, also called a piscina, was laid out on the north side of the Shrine when the Holy House was built in 1931.Baverstock, Fr Alban Henry b 3 July 1871; d 25 Apr 1950; buried in Hinton Martell churchyard; older brother of Fr Francis Baverstock [below]; Founding Priest Guardian 1931; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 93; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Joseph stall on north side of chancel; see R J Farmer, Fr Alban Baverstock SSC: An Exploration of His Life (1997); photograph in Guardians Gallery.Baverstock, Fr Francis Edwin b 1873; d 22 December 1952; buried in St Mary's churchyard, Walsingham; his grave is near Fr Patten’s; younger brother of Fr Alban Baverstock [above]; Honorary Guardian 1950-52; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 94; gave Fr Patten his title at Holy Cross, Cromer Street; thought to have been responsible for recommending Fr Patten to the living of Walsingham in 1921.Bayley, Miss Iris Edith b 11 Sept 1914; d 13 Mar 2004; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1992-2004.Baynes, Anthony [misprinted by Fr Patten occasionally as Anthony Begus] b 28 Mar 1921; d 13 June 2003; although Enid Chadwick did most of the painting in the Shrine Church, other artists were commissioned to paint there; Anthony Baynes's work in the Shrine includes the Agnus Dei above the Blessed Sacrament Chapel (1955), the reredos of St George's Chapel (1963), of which he repainted part on a later occasion, and the reredos of the St Lawrence altar which was removed in 1972 when the South Cloister was added.beadle first beadle William Frary; Andrew Martin 1954; Leonard Whitmore 1955-82; cloak designed from similar in Cologne Cathedral or from Our Lady of Kevele (near Cologne), although the cap is different; the staff is an almost complete copy of the Kevele staff.Bedson, Derek b 21 Oct 1920; d 14 May 1989; Honorary Lay Guardian 1965-80; Canadian civil servant: Clerk of the Executive Council of Manitoba 1958-81.Beeches, Thehouse and grounds in Holt Road, part of the Adcock estate, leased by T A Bennett and purchased 1924 by Fr Patten (financed by Sir William Milner) as accommodation for pilgrims and the Sisters; renamed Stella Maris Hospice (changed to Stella Maris House 1993).Begbie, Davidsteel sculpture (Crucifix) in Barn Chapel 2004.Begus, Anthony the name used at first in error by Fr Patten for the painter Anthony Baynes.Bell, Fr Brian Thomas Benedict Guardian from 2012.bells the 9 shrine bells were blessed and baptised on 10 Oct 1931; made by Gillett & Johnson; more bells added to make 12, but difficulty of access gradually discouraged ringing; Fr Stuart Ramsden the last and bravest to ascend tower to ring them on his pilgrimages; 2003 complete refit and bells can now be controlled more comfortably from organ loft, manually or automatically; and see campanile; carillon; Shrine Bells page.benefactors The Shrine rightly regards Sir William Milner as its first and chief benefactor: he enabled the purchase of the site on which Fr Patten built the Shrine in 1931 and very many other projects over his lifetime: he gave his home, Parcevall Hall, to the Shrine, who now lease it to the diocese of Bradford; Fr Fynes-Clinton was another wealthy benefactor who contributed large sums in furnishings and embellishments, and, through his myriad well-off contacts, in publicising the Shrine to a wider constituency, chiefly in London: a Benefactors' Book, created by Enid Chadwick to record the gift by Mrs Frida Brackley of a painting for the proposed War Memorial Chapel [never built], was placed in its glass case in the Shrine Church in 1966.Beningfield, Gordon 1936-1998; multi-talented painter and sculptor; created the sculpture of St Michael vanquishing the devil (design by John Hayward) on the wall of the GAS chapel 1965, and the etched windows in the three north chapels in the Shrine Church 1973. Bennett, Thomas Armitageb 16 April 1854; d 15 Sept 1919; retired timber merchant from Lancashire;his father, John Marsland Bennett, built St Benedict’s Church, Ardwick;lived in The Beeches, and before that at Church House, opposite St Mary’s.Bennett, Fr Walter Gervased 16 October 1976; Guardian 1958-76; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 94-95; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Joseph stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery.Best-Shaw, Lt Cdr Sir John James Kenward [9th] bt d 26 Feb 1984; Founding Lay Guardian 1931-78; Guardian Emeritus 1978-84; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 95-96; last survivor of the original 1931 Foundation; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Clare stall on north side of chancel; surname originally Shaw, became Best-Shaw 1956; photograph in Guardians Gallery; with Enid Chadwick.Betjeman, John (1906-84) (Poet Laureate 1972-84) wrote foreword to 3rd (1959) edition of Donald Hole's England's Nazareth; he included five-minute section about Walsingham in his 1974 television programme 'A Passion for Churches'.Bint, Miss Dorothy E P b 12 Jan 1903; d 1998; Administrator's Secretary; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1969-98.bishops see under surnameBlayney, Miss Kathleen Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1983-94; reminiscences.Blessed Sacrament Chapel of the Fifth Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady (Our Lady and All Angels and Saints) (1938: The Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament); re-ordered 2002 and the tabernacle moved forward; painting of the Coronation of Our Lady on the apse ceiling of the chapel by Ian Howgate (1938); the Agnus Dei by Anthony Baynes (1955) is based on a mosaic in St Mary Major in Rome; note that the picture shown for the Coronation in the first edition of Shrine's Pocket Guide was incorrect (that one is in the Holy House); gates installed 1963.Booth, John David Sebastian Lay Guardian from 2001; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John stall on north side of chancel.Bowker, Major Arthur Frank d 12 June 1950; Founding Lay Guardian 1931-46; Guardian Emeritus 1946-50; he repeatedly asked to be allowed to resign owing to age, and so eventually became one of the first Guardians Emeriti; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 97; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Thomas stall on south side of chancel; photograph of portrait in Guardians Gallery; see John Tyers, The Society of Retreat Conductors: A History (2012).Boyd, Charlotte Pearson 1837-1906 purchased the ruined Slipper Chapel in 1896 to restore the building for religious use; see Kate Moore, Walsingham: Charlotte Boyd (1998).Brackenname of Sir William Milner’s favourite dog, pictured in the tall stained glass window (by Michael Coles) of the Milner Wing.Brackley, Mrs Frida [not Freda] Helena d 16 July 1963; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1953-63; compiled Brackles: Memoirs of a Pioneer of Civil Aviation (1952) in memory of her husband: mentions their visits to Walsingham on pp 249, 291, 422, 501, 542, 549, 555, 566, 578, 608, 647; gave the painting in the Chapel of the Ascension to the Shrine.Brady, Bishop William Hampton d 23 Dec 1997; Honorary Guardian 1960; Bishop of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA; consecrated the Guild of All Souls Chapel at Walsingham 13 October 1965.Braithwaite, Dr John Ambroseb 16 May 1934; d 18 Mar 1995; Lay Guardian 1970-95; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Hugh stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Brandie, Fr Beaumont Lauder MBE d 19 May 2020; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1989-2020; Chief Steward at The National Pilgrimage 1982-2018; The Brandie Gate [below] named after him 2009; appointed MBE 2007; photograph and Brighton Sea Cadets; photographs as OOLW Clerk.Brandie Gate, The(or Brandie Arch) the arch at the Holt Road entrance to the Shrine was rededicated by Bishop Chesters and named The Brandie Gate 25 May 2009 in honour of Fr Beau Brandie MBE [above] in recognition of his contribution to the work of the Shrine, and in particular of his work as Chief Steward at The National Pilgrimage from 1982 to 2018; the arch was originally built in 1957 together with the left side extension to Stella Maris, paid for by Eleanor Buston [below] whose relatives are commemorated by a plaque on the wall inside the arch; this had been the gateway into the Shrine gardens (photograph).Brown, Howard [not Harold] Jesse 1903-1955; Norwich goldsmith who created the 1946 replacement feretory for the relics of St Vincent; also did gilding work on sacred vessels in the Shrine.Bunn's garage in Common Place was acquired by the Shrine in 1987; the Shrine shop was extended and the rest developed into the new Richeldis House accommodation.Burnett, Fr Frankb 9 Nov 1907;d 25 Nov 1941; curate at St Peter Parmengate and St Julian's Norwich; one of the deacons of honour carrying the image of Our Lady of Walsingham in the Translation procession 1931; served RNVR and Chaplain to HMS Barham; died when it was sunk by enemy action 25 Nov 1941; had planned to work at the Shrine after the war; his poignant story, written by Fr Beau Brandie, is on the Brighton Sea Cadets page (scroll down).Burns, Jack part-time Shrine organist for thirty years until 1994.Buston, Miss Eleanor Marythe anonymous [at the time] donor of the archway and whole left side of the old accommodation building as looked at from Holt Road built it in memory of her parents: third set of initials presumably represents a sibling; extension was finished and in use in 1956, and the final part of the project - the gate - was completed in 1957; the original plaque on the archway wall recording the gift has been set neatly into the wall of the refurbished gate, now called The Brandie Gate (or Arch) in honour of Fr Beau Brandie MBE (above).top of page
This is a Select Index of people, places and things in the Shrine’s history, particularly of those whom we meet in the records. It is not a comprehensive index of the whole site, but for help with specific names or objects not found here, contact the archivist. The index is regularly updated, but please also send corrections, amendments or suggested additions.
The information given here relates to the subject’s connection to Walsingham history:
more details of priests and others can be found in public reference books of the time (e.g.
Crockford's, Who's Who, peerages and standard directories).
No information is given about living persons except with permission,
or that which is available from sources in the public domain.