Archive Select Index

Q R

Quail, Jane sculptress and woodcarver; created the Beatitude Stations of the Cross in the Shrine grounds 2001; The Beatitude Stations (2007) with meditations by Bruce Carlin and photographs by Graham Howard. Quail, Paul d 2010; husband of Jane (above); modern stained glass artist who advised the Shrine on its stained glass. Quainton Hall School, Harrow acquired by the Shrine by gift 1945; and see P Milner, Quainton Hall School (1997). Quiet Garden on the south side of the Shrine Church, accessed through South Cloister; here are the First and Second Stations of the Cross; designed 2006 by Tessa Hobbs (who also redesigned the main Shrine gardens in 2004). top of page railway station (Walsingham) opened 1 Dec 1857; on the Wells & Fakenham Railway, later part of the Great Eastern Railway; served Great and Little Walsingham; closed 5 October 1964; since 1982 there has been a second station at Walsingham: the southern terminus of the narrow gauge Wells and Walsingham Light Railway: this station is slightly north of the original, the latter now having a car and coach park on the site of the tracks. Ramsden, Fr (Arthur) Stuart d 28. Jan 2018; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1982- 2018. Ramsey, Archbishop Michael Archbishop of Canterbury 1961-74; preached at the National Pilgrimage in a private capacity 1978, after his retirement. Randall, Terence designed the crucifix and candles in the Guild of All Souls Chapel (carved by Siegfried Pietsch). Raybould, Fr Paul Jevon d 23 Jan 1952; Honorary Guardian; celebrant of the mass held outside at the Halifax Altar in the Shrine grounds as an overflow from the Shrine Church at the blessing and opening 1938. Raynes, Richard Elliott [Raymond in religion] d 12 June 1958; Priest Guardian 1949-58 ; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Joseph stall on north side of chancel; see Nicholas Mosley, Life of Raymond Raynes (1961); Superior CR; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Read, Christopher Lay Guardian from 2019. Rear, Fr Michael John Parish Priest of Walsingham, 1989-95; author of Walsingham: Pilgrims and Pilgrimage (2011). refectory, first what is now called the Pilgrim Hall; closed as a refectory 1966 and renamed Pilgrim Hall; later used as pilgrim youth accommodation as well as picnic area; always in use, especially nowadays by the Education Department; it was an old barn converted in the 1930s for Pilgrim use; before that it had been used as a Salvation Army Citadel and at the time the property was acquired it was a Friends’ Meeting House. refectory, second opened Mar 1967; refurbished 1988; on outside of the building was the pilgrim symbol of the shell of St James Compostella (given by Shell Oil); this is now outside the current (third) refectory. refectory, third (current) blessed by Archbishop of York (Dr David Hope, a Guardian) 2000; officially opened by Princess Alexandra 21 July 2001; the shell outside comes from the second refectory [see above]; the large sculpture on the wall inside entitled The Wedding Feast at Cana was created by the Cardozo Kindersley Workshop in Cambridge, measures 9 ft by 7 ft and is carved out of Portland stone: the figures are set against a background of the Roman lettering for which this workshop is famous; stained glass windows by Michael Coles (the life of Christ told through the seasons of the Church year), and in the tower (meditation on Isaiah 12:3). reminiscences of a variety of people mostly about the early days of the Shrine, but with some later; start page. Repository, The name of the first Shrine shop. Restorer, The a name by which Fr Patten liked to be known; 'his' chapel was SS Hugh and Patrick, which was sometimes known as The Restorer's Chapel. Richards, Oliver former choirmaster of St Mary's who assisted the servers and choir at the blessing and opening of the Shrine Church 1938. Richeldis, statues of (1) the statue at the Altar of the Annunciation started life (date uncertain) as that of St Bernadette of Lourdes, holding a candle; statue was repainted and the candle removed; its Holy House was carved by Percy Yabsley; originally placed on the left hand side of the entrance porch as welcoming visitors, and at one time a visitors' book was placed in front of the statue; in 1983 or 1984 the statue was repainted and moved to its present position displacing St Dominic, who had been there for many years; St Dominic was moved away, but was soon returned (to the other side) at the request of the Order of the Living Rosary of Our Lady and St Dominic; (2) the statue in Richeldis House given 1990 by the architect, Anthony Rossi. Richeldis House opened 1 May 1990 by Mrs Graham Leonard (see Walsingham Review Assumptiontide 1990); architect Anthony Rossi. Roberts, Andrew Lay Guardian from 2012. Robinson, Bishop Tony Visitor; Bishop of Wakefield 2002-14; Bishop of Leeds (Anglican) from 2014. Roe, Fr Alan Arthur Parish Priest of Walsingham, 1959-76; d 12 May 1992 at the Priory while leading the intercessions at a dedication festival mass. Roe, Fr Charles Edward 1862-1940; Rector of Buxted 1917-35; Fr Patten was his curate 1919-20; Fr Roe was buried at Buxted, and a memorial brass to him is on floor of the Shrine Church at Walsingham. Roman Catholic Shrine Slipper Chapel declared the National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham 1934; first major pilgrimage there 19 Aug 1934, attended by Cardinal Bourne. rosary, long brown given by Gwyneth Littler and still used in Shrine prayers. Rosary and Intercessions instituted in the parish church 1922, transferred to the Holy House 1931 and continued in the Shrine Church ever since, and on social media during the current coronavirus pandemic restrictions. Rossi, Anthony architect of Richeldis House. Rowell, Bishop Geoffrey d 11 June 2017; Honorary Guardian. Rowlands, Fr Graeme Charles Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 2001-09; Guardian from 2009; Registrar from 2018. Royal Family Many members of the Royal Family have visited Walsingham since Fr Patten's restoration of the Shrine; The Duchess of Kent came to open St Joseph's Wing in 1985 (see Walsingham Review Christmas 1985), Princess Alexandra to open the new refectory in 2001 (see Walsingham Review Assumptiontide 2001) and The Duke of Edinburgh to open the Milner Wing in 2009 (see Walsingham Review Advent 2009); The Duchess of Kent was known to be a pilgrim, and attended the National Pilgrimage 1980; a less well-known figure was Princess Marie Louise (1872-1956), a granddaughter of Queen Victoria: she visited as a pilgrim frequently before the War and claimed to be "the first of our family to visit Walsingham since Henry VIII"; other members of the Royal Family visit in a private capacity. Rublev Ikon in Barn Chapel. Runcie, Archbishop Robert preached at the National Pilgrimage 1980 and prayed in the Slipper Chapel for unity; first Archbishop of Canterbury to visit Walsingham (officially) since Fr Patten's Restoration. Rutt, Bishop Cecil Richard b 27 Aug 1925; d 27 July 2011; Honorary Guardian 1980-83; Bishop of Leicester 1979-91. top of page

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z