Archive Select Index

N O P

Nathanael, Archimandrite 1906-85; attended 1938 blessing and opening of the Shrine Church; Archbishop of Vienna and Austria 1981-85. National Pilgrimages name of the annual Whit Monday (now late May Bank Holiday) pilgrimage; The Whit Monday Pilgrimages (the National). National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, The in the early days of the restoration of the Shrine Fr Patten sometimes described it as 'England's National Shrine of Our Lady', and some prewar publications bear this title; in 1934 the Slipper Chapel was declared The Roman Catholic National Shrine of Our Lady, as it remains; first major pilgrimage there 19 Aug 1934, attended by Cardinal Bourne; now known as the Catholic National Shrine & Basilica of Our Lady; the Anglican Shrine is known as The Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Nestor of Kamchatka and Petropavlovsk, Archbishop 1884-1962; attended 1938 blessing and opening of the Shrine Church (press reports); Metropolitan of Kirovgrad and Nikolaevsk 1958-62. News Chronicle the pillars supporting the gallery behind the high altar came from the News Chronicle building in Fleet Street, London, that was being demolished at the time of the building of the Shrine church: its offices were near to those of Milner & Craze. Nicholai Velimirovich, Saint see under Velimirovich. Nicholas [Gibbes], Archimandrite 1876-1963; attended 1938 blessing and opening of the Shrine Church; lived with the Russian Imperial family as tutor to the Tsarevich from 1908 until their deaths in 1917; later lived as an Orthodox priest in Oxford; adopted a son, George, whose own son attended the Sanctuary School. North, Bishop Philip John Guardian from 2000; Administrator 2002-08; Master of the Guardians from 2016; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Gabriel stall on south side of chancel; Bishop of Burnley from 2015. Northern, Major R A Lay Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham, and the Order's first Registrar, 1960-65. Norton, Lord [6th Baron: father of 7th Baron below] Hubert Bowyer Arden Adderley; b 21 Feb 1886; d 17 Feb 1961; inherited his title 1945; Lay Guardian 1935-61; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 104; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Hilary stall on north side of chancel; President of Church Union 1947-50; had worked for Ninian Comper; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Norton, Lord [7th Baron: son of 6th Baron above] John Arden Adderley; b 24 Nov 1915; d 24 Sept 1993; inherited his title 1961; Lay Guardian 1967-93; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Laurence stall on north side of chancel; the Norton Room was named after him in recognition of his work for the Shrine, particularly in managing the Parcevall Hall estate; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Norton Room café bar beneath the Refectory opened Easter 2003; named after Lord Norton (7th) [above]; the main Refectory building was opened by Princess Alexandra 21 July 2001. Norwich, Bishops of see Graham James; Bertram Pollock Novum Opus words (meaning 'the New Work') frequently used by Fr Patten in the early days of the restoration; in medieval times the outer protecting chapel built around the original wattle Holy House was described as the Novum Opus in early records, probably first mentioned by William of Worcester in 1479; it was built between 1450 and 1470 but still unfinished at Erasmus's visit in 1511; 1931 Fr Patten built the Holy House and around it the protecting chapel, which he therefore referred to as the Novum Opus; the inner corridor around the Holy House was known as the Ambulatory; that remained so until the Shrine Church extension was built in 1938. top of page O’Connor, Ann 1949-2001; the 15th station has been rebuilt and stands as a backdrop to the Halifax altar; the reconstruction is in memory of Ann O’Connor. O’Ferrall, Margaret E G d December 1980; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 113; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1969-80; O’Rorke, Mowbray Stephen [not O'Rourke] d 15 Mar 1953; Founding Priest Guardian 1931-53; St Cuthbert stall on south side of chancel; did not sign Guardians’ Roll; second Bishop of Accra 1913-24; Rector of Blakeney 1924-35; his ashes buried in the Shrine Church under his effigy: one of the six carved heads in the Shrine church roof; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Oldland, Fr John Leyshon b 27 Oct 1906; d 1995; curate Good Shepherd, Carshalton Beeches (as Fr Patten had been); St John's Balham; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1975-95 (not from 1960 as printed elsewhere); frequent visitor to Walsingham and assistant in jubilee masses and processions of 1947, 1952 & 1957; description of Whit Monday 1957; he died minutes after being ordained as a priest in the Roman Catholic church, 1995. Oldroyd, Leslie Lay Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1981-87. Orangery, The built on part of the old College garden at the same time as the new Refectory, 2001. Order of Our Lady of Walsingham, The see The Order of Our Lady of Walsingham; NB names of current members of the Order are not given on this website unless requested or are already in the public domain. organists, Shrine several organists have served the Shrine in past years, including [not in chronological order] George Back, Peter Harbottle, Mother Margaret Mary, Norman Pope, Kenneth Condon, Francis Elbourne, Molly Bond, Arthur Robson, Jack Burns (part-time for over 30 years), Peter Macken 2000-14; Nicholas Kerrison from 2014. Orthodox chapel in the Shrine Church. see also Archbishop Seraphim Orthodox connection with Shrine Orthodox Chapel of Theotokos was consecrated by Bishop Sava of Grodno (the Orthodox Chaplain General of the Polish forces in this country) on Whit Sunday 1945; some references give the actual day as Whit Monday, but referred to as Sunday in Our Lady's Mirror; the last year in which Orthodox clergy attended the National Pilgrimage Mass and processed was 1992. Oswald, Brother SSF see Oswald Bertie Wells Our Lady of Paris flat cut-out image of Notre Dame de Paris erected temporarily above West Front of the Shrine 1931; not replaced until 1966 by statue of Our Lady (given by Fr Colin Stephenson by him personally from gifts to mark silver jubilee of his priesthood); the first image can be seen on outside wall of what is now called the Pilgrim Hall, facing east end of the Shrine church; re-carved and gilded 1983, and restored again in 2019; the best photograph of it in Fr Patten’s own album is his number 28e; modern photographs. Our Lady of Pity second chapel of the Sisters, in a hut adjoining Stella Maris Hospice, where the GAS Chapel now is. Our Lady of Sorrows chapel Station 4 on the Via Dolorosa; contains work by Martin Travers; 2004 restored by Fr Roger Davison to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of his election as Guardian; the original chapel built in 1931 had to be demolished to make way for the building of the Shrine Church in 1938. Our Lady of Sudbury statue at the Well in the Shrine church, made by James and Lilian Dagless; sometimes called Our Lady of the Smile. Our Lady of the Smile another name for statue of Our Lady of Sudbury at the Well in the Shrine Church [above] Our Lady of Victories and St John the Apostle, chapel of the Fifth Sorrowful Mystery: The Death on the Cross (The Crucifixion) (1938: Fynes-Clinton Chantry, Catholic League and Sodality of the Precious Blood); in 1938 the dedication was to St John Evangelist and remained so until at least 1950; some time after that the dedication changed to Our Lady of Victories and St John the Apostle. Our Lady’s Mirror the first journal of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham, 1926-59; predecessor of the Walsingham Review; see the OLM website outdoor photographs of the Shrine Church in album by Fr Kenneth Pearson 1938. overseas there had been interest from parishes in other countries from the beginning of the restoration, particularly in Australia, Africa and America, but first specific mention of visits in Our Lady's Mirror is in the 1929 Spring/Summer number: "Priests from America are beginning to find their way to Walsingham, one conducting a weekend pilgrimage for Holy Cross, St Pancras, and two visiting with pilgrims from Yorkshire." overseas shrines, early 1926 Nassau, Canada; 1930 Sheboygan, USA. Oxford Crown the silver crown for Our Lady's statue, given by Fr Alex Lawson and Fr Roger Wodehouse and the parish of St Paul, Oxford, 1929. top of page PAHH (Priests Associate of the Holy House) "Priest Associates" in early Shrine literature; founded 1931 - this date sometimes wrongly given as 1927 because of a misreading in an early Our Lady's Mirror; error copied as definitive in Our Lady's Mirror 1958, and in turn taken and published by Fr Colin Stephenson in Walsingham Way and hence perpetuated; see article in Walsingham Review Advent 2009 (but note that Fr Colin Stephenson was not one of the original 1931 Guardians as stated there on p 8). painters and sculptors working for or commissioned by the Shrine Enid Chadwick; James Dagless and his sister Lilian; Anthony Baynes; Ian Howgate; John Hayward; Gordon Beningfield; Siegfried Pietsch; Jane Quail; David Begbie; see also H M Price. Parcevall Hall, Yorkshire home of Sir William Milner (1893-1960), given to the Shrine; dedicated for use as the Bradford diocesan retreat house and conference centre 23 Apr 1964; designed by his architect partner Bernard Craze, who was also the architect of the Shrine; the beautiful gardens that Sir William created at Parcevall are open to the general public. Parish Priests of Walsingham after Fr Patten list of. Parkinson, Stephen Director, Forward in Faith, 1993-2012; Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2012. Parliamentary Pilgrimage 16 May 1973; first parliamentary pilgrimage, organised by the Earl of Lauderdale (Guardian); all denominations joined in and visited both Shrines; another large one 13 May 1981, again led by Lord Lauderdale. Patten, Fr Alfred Hope b 17 Nov 1885; d 11 Aug 1958; Parish Priest of Walsingham 1921- 58 and Restorer of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham; signature at top of first column of the Guardians’ Roll; Master of the Guardians 1931-58; Administrator 1931-58; Our Lady stall on south side of chancel; Founder of the College of Guardians 1931; his effigy, on north side near the well, was painted by Enid Chadwick 1965; one of the six carved heads in the Shrine church roof; he wrote most of the Shrine Publications in the early days including Our Lady's Mirror; Guardians Gallery photograph; his 1931 photograph album; his 1938 album; see Biographies of Fr Patten; for more about his surname see under Hope Patten. Pearson, Fr Kenneth Arthur Pearson b 3 May 1901; d 3 Oct 1977; two volumes of outstanding photographs of the newly-built Shrine Church, with grounds, and elsewhere 1938; copyright belongs to the Shrine. Pember, Clifford painted the picture of Our Lady that was put up in the parish church in place of the statue after its translation to the Holy House in 1931; the painting was destroyed in the 1961 fire. Petersen, Canon Vivan [not Vivian] Albertus d 9 September 1966; Honorary Guardian (USA) 1946-66; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 105; Rector of St James, Cleveland, Ohio; came to Walsingham in its early days and was life-long supporter and generous benefactor; Fr Patten wrote to him during the war urging that if the Shrine and everyone here were destroyed he must immediately raise money in America and get it restored at once. Phillida, Sister Mary [Lady Phillida Shirley], [not Phyllida] b 4 Nov 1896; d 26 Dec 1985; The Anchoresses. photographs the Photographs overview page links to all sets of photographs on this site, and there are many more individual photographs on other pages. Pickles, Wilfred presented the Have a Go radio programme which visited Walsingham in 1954. Pieta, The memorial to William Frary; used to stand near Pilgrim Hall; now refurbished and relocated to niche near St Anne’s at the rear of the house lived in by the Frary family. Pietsch, Siegfried carved altar crucifix in wood for the Guild of All Souls Chapel; re-carved Our Lady of Paris image 1983. pilgrim arrow badges one design of the brooch-type badges worn by medieval pilgrims to the Shrine: a circular brooch with the Annunciation set within a circle which in turn is within a six-pointed star: one badge was like this, and another design had this brooch set on a broad arrow; moulds for these have been unearthed locally, and are in museums in London, Norfolk and elsewhere; 1935 Fr Patten had a replica of the arrow badge struck and these were sold in the Shrine Shop. pilgrim badges medieval pilgrim badges have been found in many parts of the country; they are not easily identifiable, but certain types are known to be Walsingham badges: of the Annunciation with or without arrow [above paragraph], of The Virgin and Child and of The Holy House; modern replicas of many are widely available including in Walsingham shops and online. Pilgrim Hall the first refectory and used as a dormitory for some of the early pilgrims; closed as a refectory 1966; later used as pilgrim youth accommodation as well as picnic area; always in use, especially nowadays by the Education Department; it was an old barn converted in the 1930s for Pilgrim use; before that it had been used as a Salvation Army Citadel and at the time the property was acquired it was a Friends’ Meeting House. Pilgrim Hymn sung to the tune of the Lourdes hymn; the first version was written by Sir William Milner in 1926 (and was printed in the first Pilgrim's Manual 1928, p 61); used until rewritten by Fr Colin Stephenson in 1959, and his version still in use today; we do not know how Sir William (who died in 1960) felt about the revision. pilgrimages, parish accounts of parish pilgrimages from various parts of the country from 1922 to 1959. Pilgrims’ Manual first edition 1928; fifth edition 1952; see Publications website. Pilkington of Oxenford, The Revd Canon Lord b 5 Sept 1933; d 14 Feb 2011; Honorary Guardian 2002-11. Pinchard, John Lester Biddulph d 20 Apr 1956; Guardian 1940-56; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John Vianney (Curé d’Ars) stall on south side of chancel; Shrine has vestments made by his mother for him; photograph in Guardians Gallery; see Michael Yelton, The Twenty One (2009), pp 77-78. plaques, votive on the west wall of the Shrine church put up in the early days in thanksgiving to Our Lady for favours received; some have been placed in more recent times. Pollock, Bishop Bertram Bishop of Norwich 1910-42, being at the beginning of Fr Patten's restoration of the Shrine; for the story of his participation see throughout Michael Yelton, Alfred Hope Patten and the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (2006), and Colin Stephenson, Walsingham Way (either edition). Polski, Fr Michael attended 1938 blessing and opening of the Shrine Church, walking behind the Archimandrites in the procession; later an archpriest and the author of The New Martyrs of Russia (1972). Powell, Claude Tringham Graham d 3 Nov 1952; Guardian 1935-52; married; did not sign Guardians’ Roll; All Saints stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; and see Roy Tricker, Anglicans on High (2014), pp131-2. Price, H M artist and calligrapher doing work for Fr Patten around the time of the building of the Holy House (1931); style similar to that of Enid Chadwick (who arrived in the village 1934), making identification of some work difficult although the spelling 'Ladye' is one identifying feature; nothing known of him/her (information welcomed). Prideaux, Abbot (William) Gostwyck (Charles) [Denys in religion] b 16 September 1864; d 29 November 1934; Founding Priest Guardian 1931-34; Founder Abbot of Pershore 1922; community moved to Nashdom 1926 and he became first Abbot of Nashdom; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St George stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; see biography by Dom Aidan Harker in the CLA Oxford Prophets Series no 17 (1983); and see Peta Dunstan, The Labour of Obedience (2009). Priest Administrators of the Shrine list of Priests Associate of the Holy House (PAHH) "Priest Associates" in early Shrine literature; founded 1931: this date sometimes wrongly given as 1927 because of a misreading in an early Our Lady's Mirror; error copied as definitive in Our Lady's Mirror 1958, and in turn taken and published by Fr Colin Stephenson in Walsingham Way and hence perpetuated; see article in Walsingham Review Advent 2009 (but note that Fr Colin Stephenson was not one of the original 1931 Guardians as stated there on p 8). Princess Alexandra opened new Refectory 21 July 2001. Princess Marie Louise 1872-1956; granddaughter of Queen Victoria; visited as a pilgrim frequently before the War and claimed to be "the first of our family to visit Walsingham since Henry VIII". processions in the Shrine grounds before microphones and other improvements were introduced the organists accompanying processions played the procession out of the building, then went down the back steps to watch it go round the grounds, then picked up the tune when the procession came back in the door; the first amplifying system was installed in 1966; the Sunday afternoon Procession of the Blessed Sacrament was started in 1966. top of page

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z