Archive Select Index

S

Sacred Heart, chapel of the Sisters created in 1938 in the Shrine Church in what is now the upper Sacristy, behind the organ loft. Sacred Order of the Living Rosary of Our Lady of Walsingham see The Order of Our Lady of Walsingham Saint see Velimirovich, Nicholai St Anne, chapel of The Fourth Joyful Mystery: The Presentation in the Temple (1938: The Society of Our Lady of Walsingham). St Augustine, chapel of, this chapel has been sited on the same spot since 1938 but in three completely different appearances, first as an outside-facing chapel, then in two different forms facing inwards within the building; it was never counted as one of the fifteen chapels on which the church design was based. St Benedict, statue of now in the south (Jubilee) cloister of the Shrine church; for its history see 'St Benedict' by Daphne Brotherton in Walsingham Review Candlemass 2015, p 5. St Clare, St Francis and chapel of the Second Glorious Mystery: The Ascension (1938: Church Union (Seven Years Association)); also sometimes referred to as the Chapel of the Ascension. St Columba and the Celtic Saints, chapel of the Third Glorious Mystery: The Descent of the Holy Spirit (1938: Guild of Servants of the Sanctuary); also sometimes referred to as The Holy Spirit Chapel. St Cuthbert and St Wilfred, chapel of the Second Sorrowful Mystery: The Scourging (1938: The Milner Chantry). St David statue given to the Shrine by the pilgrims of Wales for the Chapel of St Columba and the Celtic Saints; blessed 20 July 2010; carved by Emyr Hughes; coloured by Stephen Bellion. St Dominic statue was on south side of Annunciation Altar given 1952 in memory of Martin Havergal by members of the Living Rosary of Our Lady and St Dominic (founded 1905); replaced in the 1980s by the new Richeldis statue, but soon restored (to north side) at the request of the Order of the Living Rosary of Our Lady and St Dominic. St Edward the Confessor, chapel of, and chantry chapel of King Edward I; the Second Joyful Mystery: The Visitation (The Chantry Chapel). St Francis and St Clare, chapel of, the Second Glorious Mystery: The Ascension (1938: Church Union (Seven Years Association)); also sometimes referred to as the Chapel of the Ascension. St Gabriel weather-vane "the golden figure of St Gabriel" has been on the tower of the Shrine Church since it was built 1938: blew down in a storm Christmas Eve 1977 but was restored; there was a statue of St Gabriel in the medieval shrine. St Gabriel and St Vincent, chapel of the Annunciation Altar the First Joyful Mystery: The Annunciation (1938: Society of Mary, The Living Rosary and St Dominic). St George, chapel of the First Sorrowful Mystery: The Agony in the Garden (1938: Scouts and later Guides; later The Sanctuary School; later Quainton Hall School). St Helena and St Hilary, chapel of the Third Joyful Mystery: The Nativity (1939: Children's Home). St Hilary, St Helena and, chapel of the Third Joyful Mystery: The Nativity (1939: Children's Home). St Hilary’s children's home run by the Shrine from 1939 to 1977; see St Hilary's. St Hugh and St Patrick, chapel of the Third Sorrowful Mystery: The Crowning with Thorns (1938: The Restorer's Chapel). St John the Apostle, Our Lady of Victories and, chapel of the Fifth Sorrowful Mystery: The Death on the Cross (The Crucifixion) (1938: Fynes-Clinton Chantry, Catholic League and Sodality of the Precious Blood); in 1938 the dedication was to St John Evangelist and remained so until at least 1950; some time after that the dedication changed to Our Lady of Victories and St John the Apostle. St John the Evangelist, chapel of the Fifth Sorrowful Mystery: The Death on the Cross (The Crucifixion) (1938: Fynes-Clinton Chantry, Catholic League and Sodality of the Precious Blood); St John Evangelist remained the dedication until at least 1950; later the dedication changed to Our Lady of Victories and St John the Apostle [above]. St John Vianney (Curé d'Ars), chapel of the Fourth Sorrowful Mystery: The Carrying of the Cross (1938: The Priest Associates; later SSC). St Joseph, chapel of the First Glorious Mystery: The Resurrection (1938: no allocation; later Fr Norris Chantry); the bell tower. St Joseph's Wing site blessed by Bishop Anselm Genders 16 Dec 1984 (see Walsingham Review Easter 1985: the date is given there as the 6th, but on the photograph on our webpage the imprinted date is 16th); Mrs Nancy Thomson (wife of Fr Cyril Thomson) turned the first spade of earth; building opened by the Duchess of Kent 4 Oct 1985 (see Walsingham Review Christmas 1985). St Lawrence, altar of, this altar (created 1961) was in the niche on the left hand side of the south-east door into the Shrine (behind the Pilgrim Hall); it stood opposite another niche (still there) in which the statue of King Charles I was first placed (now in a niche halfway up the adjacent stairs); its altar piece was of the Martyrdom of St Lawrence, painted by Anthony Baynes; the altar previously in the Chapel of the Nativity was made redundant in 1961 and was moved to make an altar here; the elaborately- decorated frame can still be seen today, further along, surrounding the doorway into the confessionals built in 1980; the original medieval Shrine had a famous chapel of St Lawrence. St Mary's parish church, Walsingham Fr Patten was Parish Priest 1921-58; disastrous fire 14 July 1961; rebuilt church consecrated 8 Aug 1964; see Graham Howard, A Fire in Walsingham (2011).. St Michael and St George house in High Street (once called Shields because of the heraldic shields which were on its exterior) bought 1926 to become the Hospice of SS Michael and George, with part being the Shrine shop; sold in late 1930s as there was no more use for it and the proceeds used to pay off debts on Stella Maris Hospice; 1953 repurchased to use as a hostel to cater for the older boys from St Hilary's now at work who needed accommodation different from a children's home; sold again later. St Pancras, Holy Cross Fr Patten was curate to Fr Francis Baverstock there 1913-15. St Patrick, St Hugh and, chapel of the Third Sorrowful Mystery: The Crowning with Thorns (1938: The Restorer's Chapel). St Thomas of Canterbury and St Philip Neri, chapel of the Fifth Joyful Mystery: The Finding in the Temple (1938: Chantry Chapel of Fr Tooth and Fr Wilmot Phillips; later also of Major Bowker); the wall- painting of St Thomas's martyrdom was done by Fr Eustace Hand in 1945. St Vincent of Saragossa reliquary by the side of the Altar of the Annunciation; installed 1932; painted by Lilian Dagless [not by Enid Chadwick as often assumed: she had not yet been to Walsingham]. St Vincent, St Gabriel and, chapel of the Annunciation Altar; the First Joyful Mystery: The Annunciation (1938: Society of Mary, The Living Rosary and St Dominic). St Wilfred, St Cuthbert and, chapel of the Second Sorrowful Mystery: The Scourging (1938: The Milner Chantry). Salt, Bishop John William OGS d 7 Feb 2017; Bishop of St Helena 1999-2011; Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 2014-17. Salvation Army before being converted from an old barn to a Pilgrim Refectory and dormitory in the 1930s, the building now known as the Pilgrim Hall had first been used as a Salvation Army Citadel; after that, at the time the property was acquired, it was a Friends’ Meeting House. Sanctuary apart from the usual meaning of the word, Fr Patten sometimes referred to the new Holy House and Novum Opus as The Sanctuary. Sanctuary School started 1944, based in the Vicarage and the Friary; boarding side closed 1956; day school closed 1958; and see reminiscences of Michael Farrer and Paul Lewis. Sarah, Mother Mother of the Community of St Peter the Apostle, Westminster (Laleham), 1919-57; these sisters were the first to serve at Walsingham until the Society of St Margaret sisters came in Apr 1947; see The Sisters in Walsingham; and see Michael Yelton, Alfred Hope Patten and the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham an illustrated biography (2006), esp Chapter 10; her likeness is one of the six carved heads in the Shrine church roof; photograph. Satterthwaite, Bishop John Richard b 17 Nov 1925; d 23 May 2014; Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe 1980-93; Honorary Guardian1981-2014. Sayer, Robin Alfred Christopher d 21 June 2006; Lay Guardian 1962-90; Guardian Emeritus 1990-94; local farmer and churchwarden; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St George stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. scapulars Until 1973 Members of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham (founded 1925) were given a miniature scapular to wear under their clothing; these were always pale blue, and larger (about 3" x 4") in later years; until 1960 purchased from Burns & Oates, the picture of Our Lady then being sewn to one side by the Shrine staff before being sent for presentation by the Cell Superior; some specimens are in the archive collection; from the Walsingham Review June 1973: "For some years now it has been almost impossible to keep pace with the demand for scapulars and the Guardians have decided that this should now be replaced by a pin badge of simple design. This is being put in hand and badges will be made available as soon as the problems of design and manufacture have been worked out. In medieval times the scapular was a symbol of the monastic obligation to the religious life and was never to be removed; so those who prefer to wear it close to their skin must take care!". School of Embroidery, Clerkenwell run by the Sisters of Bethany, Lloyd Street, Clerkenwell, at which some of the Shrine vestments were made. Scottish pilgrimage first pilgrimage 1936 Scout movement first Scouts in photographs were the Stepney Scouts who lined the procession to the Halifax Altar at the 1933 Centenary Mass, presumably brought to Walsingham by a local priest; in the new Shrine Church Chapel of St George was the Scouts' Chapel; 1944 Chapel used for Scouts and Sanctuary School (which had its own troop); Girl Guides also mentioned from time to time; after the Sanctuary School closed, the dedication passed to Quainton Hall School. Seraphim, Archbishop of Western Europe [Alexander Lukianov] (1879-1959); visited Walsingham to bless the site of the proposed Orthodox Chapel on the liturgical south side of the new Shrine Church 19 Nov 1937; NB mainly because of the outbreak of War the building was never started, and the Orthodox Chapel has always been as now, at the top of the south staircase. Sessford, George Minshull, Bishop b 7 Nov 1928; d 21 July 1996; Honorary Guardian 1984-1996; Bishop of Moray, Ross and Caithness. Seven Years Association founded by Peter Winckworth and others at the 1933 Anglo-Catholic Congress in London as a junior branch of the Church Union, its members pledged to a seven years' plan of obedience to the precepts of the Church; seven years was the time designated for reporting to the next Anglo-Catholic Congress scheduled for 1940, but war prevented this; their chapel in the Shrine Church was The Ascension. Shaw, Lt Cdr Sir John James Kenward [9th] bt became Best-Shaw in 1956; d 26 Feb 1984; Founding Lay Guardian 1931-78; Guardian Emeritus 1978-84; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 95-96; last survivor of the original 1931 Foundation; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Clare stall on north side of chancel; surname originally Shaw, became Best-Shaw 1956; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Sheboygan Fr A Parker Curtiss set up a copy of the Walsingham image in Grace Episcopal Church, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA, 1930, and it was blessed the following year; Fr Curtiss was a friend of Fr Patten and had visited England and Walsingham; he was followed as Rector by Fr William Elwell who had been his curate there and later became an Honorary Guardian. Sheehy, Fr Jeremy Patrick Guardian from 1997; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Columba stall on south side of chancel. Shepherd, Fr (Frederick) John b 3 Dec 1932; d 6 Mar 2019 ; his parents (Fred and Pearl) ran a hostel for the older boys from St Hilary's 1953 in the house later known as ‘Shields’ in the High Street, but then called the hostel of St Michael and St George; Brother John Augustine CSA; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1981-92; later ordained; see numerous references in Michael Yelton, Alfred Hope Patten and the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham an illustrated biography (2006 esp pp 222-24); obituary in Walsingham Review Assumptiontide 2019. Shields house in High Street (so called at one time because of the heraldic shields on the exterior) bought 1926 to become the Hospice of SS Michael and George, with part being the Shrine shop; sold in late 1930s as there was no more use for it and the proceeds used to pay off debts on Stella Maris Hospice; 1953 repurchased to use as a hostel to cater for the older boys from St Hilary's now at work who needed accommodation different from a children's home; later resold and renamed. ship a model ship hung near the Annunciation Altar, presented by a seafarer as thanksgiving for safe journeys; many more smaller ship modeals were placed in the Shrine in the early days. Shirley, Lady Phillida Sister Mary Phillida; see The Anchoresses. shop, Shrine from 1926, before the Holy House was built, books, cards, devotional items and souvenirs were available for sale to pilgrims in Walsingham; 1926 house purchased in High Street to become the Hospice of SS Michael and George, with part being the Shrine shop, first managed by Alice Doyle- Smithe; managed by Dorothy Ferrier 1945-72; 1931 when Holy House first opened items were sold inside the building where St Edward's Chapel now is; 1936 these moved outside to a hut because of the noise created within the Shrine; hut was in forecourt of Shrine Church and later where Guild of All Souls' Chapel now is, and then next to arch in Holt Road; shop premises started in Common Place 1970; managed by Richard Hill 1972-88; floor space expanded after acquisition of Bunn's garage next door 1987. Shrine Church for details of the opening on 6 June 1938 see press reports. Sister see under name in religion Sisters in Walsingham see The Sisters in Walsingham Slipper Chapel declared the National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham 1934; first major pilgrimage there 19 Aug 1934, attended by Cardinal Bourne; website. Sloane, Andrew Honorary Guardian 2003-17. Smallwood, Arthur William b 1873; d 9 Mar 1938; Lay Guardian 1936-38; did not sign Guardians' Roll; St Thomas stall on south side of chancel; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 105; director of the charitable Greenwich Hospital , and responsible for building The Royal Hospital School at Holbrook in 1933 and moving the boys’ school there, with its large chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Walsingham; pioneer of Christian unity and close friend of Abbé Paul Couturier; see Geoffrey Curtis, Paul Couturier and Unity in Christ (1964), esp pp 181-85; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Smith, Fr Charles David b 3 Nov 1915; d 29 Jan 2010; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1964-66; Guardian (Registrar) 1966-85; Administrator 1968-72; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Augustine and St Patrick stalls on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Smith, Harriet Honorary Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1978; from Louisville, USA and started Milwaukee cell. Smith, Fr Kevin Guardian from 2002; Registrar 2009-16; Administrator from 2016; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Cuthbert stall on south side of chancel. Smith, Fr (Leonard Hugh) Michael d 22 Apr 1977; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-77; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 114; Rector of South Creake 1944-77. Smith, Stanley MBE b 30 April 1933; d 26 Oct 2019; Lay Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-85; Lay Guardian 1985-2000; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John stall on north side of chancel; retired as Bursar 1998 after 42 years as Bursar and Pilgrimage Secretary; obituary in Walsingham Review Candlemas 2020; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Society of Mary their annual pilgrimage Aug 1938 described as 17th; formed by Lord Halifax in 1931 from two older societies set up in 1880 and 1904. Society of Our Lady of Walsingham founded 20 Aug 1925, incorporating the Guild of Our Lady of Walsingham which had been founded in 1923; the names of the earliest members were inscribed in The Book of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham. SOLW initials now widely used to mean the "Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham", but until recent years they were more commonly recognised as meaning the "Society of Our Lady of Walsingham" [above]. St for entries starting with St for Saint, look above as if spelt Saint in full. stained glass several Comper windows in the Shrine church, and as well as other identifiable glass throughout there is a piece in the South Cloister given by Fr Colin Gill in May 1982 on his retirement after nine years as Master of the Guardians; expert opinion now is that it is a very good copy of a Flemish piece depicting Our Lady of Sorrows; Fr Peter Cobb has written a comprehensive paper on all the stained glass in the church. Stations of the Cross the familiar penthouse stations throughout the gardens were erected as funds allowed between the opening of the Holy House in 1931 and the end of 1932; Jane Quail created the Beatitude Stations of the Cross in the colonnade in the gardens by St Joseph's 2001; and see The Beatitude Stations (2007) with meditations by Bruce Carlin and photographs by Graham Howard. Stella Maris [Star of the Sea] Hospice/House house formerly called 'The Beeches', lived in by local historian T A Bennett; 1924 the purchase for accommodation for pilgrims and the Sisters financed by Sir William Milner; blessed 11 June 1926; the word 'hospice' originally meant place of hospitality, hostel or refuge, especially one kept by religious, and therefore very suitable description for early pilgrim accommodation when Shrine was set up; later part of twentieth century saw emergence of nationwide hospice movement, where it meant place for tending the terminally ill; therefore renamed Stella Maris House 1993. Stephens, Fr Francis designed the Annunciation Altar. Stephenson, Fr John Colin, MBE d 14 Aug 1973: his death date was given on his mass card as 15 Aug, because his death is thought to have occurred between the two dates 14 & 15: as 15 August is the Feast of the Assumption, and as befitted JCS, it made a good story; Guardian 1953-1973; Administrator 1958-68; Master of the Guardians 1958-73; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Patrick stall on north side and All Saints and Our Lady stalls on south side of chancel; confessionals extension built in his memory 1980; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 87-89; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Stockwood, Bishop (Arthur) Mervyn b 27 May 1913; d 13 Jan 1995; Honorary Guardian 1971-95; Bishop of Southwark; photograph officiating at the blessing of new South Cloister 1972. Stoker, Fr Howard Charles Guardian from 2011. stone inscription in the wall below the Holy House window; description. stones the Holy House altar was built in 1931 of stones mainly from the ruined Walsingham Priory and some from other English religious houses; Fr Patten appealed for more stones and continued to receive so many that he incorporated some into the walls of the Holy House: Benedictine houses in north wall and Augustinian in south; some were built into the altar of St Edward's chantry (dedicated 4 Sept 1936); the rest used in the construction of the High Altar in new Shrine Church. Strachan, Fr Donald Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 1980. Struggles, Miss Mabel Gladys b 1890; d 16 Feb 1968; lived in the village and helped organise flower girls in processions; the children from St Hilary, Cornwall, lived first in her house in the High Street on arrival in Walsingham in 1939. Sudbury, Our Lady of statue at the well in the Shrine Church (sometimes called Our Lady of the Smile); statue made by James and Lilian Dagless; the statue at Sudbury was installed in 1937; there is another copy at South Creake. top of page

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z