Archive Select Index

T U V W X Y Z

tabernacle see Blessed Sacrament Chapel; the chapel was re-ordered in 2002 and the tabernacle moved forward. Teddington, St Alban Fr Patten was curate to Fr Cazalet here 1915-18. Teresa, Mary, Mother and Sister see The Sisters in Walsingham Theodore Trust, The established by Fr Alan Carefull in Feb 1992. Thérèse of Lisieux, St statue of, placed in a specially-built niche in the Sunken Garden walk 1938; Fr Patten had a particular devotion to St Thérèse. Thomas, Fr, OSB acted as deacon at the mass at the blessing and opening of the Shrine Church 1938. Thomson, Fr Cyril d 12 Sept 1990; Chantry priest 1982-90; his wife turned the first earth when Bishop Genders blessed the site of the new St Joseph's Wing in 1984. Thomson, James Phillips Spalding Master of Charterhouse 2001-12; Member of Shrine Appeal Committee 2005-10; Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2010. Thorne, Mary Lay Guardian from 2019. Tooth, Fr Arthur b 17 June 1839; d 5 Mar 1931; vicar of St James's Hatcham 1868-77; first priest imprisoned under the Public Worship Regulation Act 1874; cenotaph under his effigy in Chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury and St Philip Neri in the Shrine Church: he is not buried there; the 'Hatcham Crucifix' in the Shrine grounds on the north side of the Church, present since the opening of the Holy House, is said to have come from St James's Hatcham, but there appears to be no evidence for this and it may well have been simply placed in his memory; see Joyce Coombs, Judgement on Hatcham (1969), pp 15 and 239. Translation of the statue the statue of Our Lady set up in the parish church in 1922 was moved in procession to the new Holy House on Thursday 15 Oct 1931; Translation Anniversaries. Travers, Martin R Warrener & M Yelton, Martin Travers (2003): this book contains many references to early Guardians and priests connected with Walsingham. Treby, Miss Dorothy Maud (1904-83) Matron of St Hilary's who came from Cornwall with the children in 1939; she left in 1941. Twisaday, John Herbert Cloete d 18 Jan 1971; Guardian 1941-71; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Francis stall on south side of chancel; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 106; photograph in Guardians Gallery. top of page Upcott, John Dalgairns b 26 Feb 1890; d 7 July 1962; Lay Guardian 1950-62; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Thomas stall on south side of chancel; Eton housemaster; photograph in Guardians Gallery; for a detailed account of his service in WW1 see Charlotte Zeepvat, Before Action: William Noel Hodgson and the 9th Devons, a Story of the Great War (2014). Urwin, Bishop Lindsay Goodall OGS Guardian 2006-15; Guardian Emeritus from 2015; Administrator 2009-15; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Francis stall on south side of chancel; Bishop of Horsham 1993-2009. top of page Velimirovich, Nicholai of Ohrid and Zica, Bishop and Saint b 1881; d 1956; Nov & Dec 1945 served seven liturgies in the Orthodox Chapel of the Shrine; 2003 canonized as a Saint by the Serbian Orthodox Church. Vernon, Bishop Gerald Richard b 13 Feb 1899; d 12 May 1963; Guardian 1935-63; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Columba stall on south side of chancel; Bishop in Madagascar 1940-50; unlike Bishop Huddleston he remained a full Guardian after becoming an overseas bishop, although he had offered to resign if required; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Vicarage, Walsingham in Scarborough Road, visible from the Holt Road out of the village; Fr Patten's home until he moved to live in the College in the 1940s; vicarage occupied first also with him by the children from St Hilary's and then by the Sanctuary School (and see reminiscences of Dick Crowe and Michael Farrer); sold and converted to Sue Ryder Home and opened by Duchess of Gloucester 2000; then converted into house and apartments 2008. Vicars of Walsingham list of. votive plaques on the west wall of the Shrine church put up in the early days in thanksgiving to Our Lady for favours received; some have been placed in more recent times. top of page Wain, Fr Frank his diary for one week in Walsingham in July 1938 has been edited and published by his son; the Walsingham extract. Walke, Fr Bernard vicar of St Hilary, Cornwall, 1912-36; in 1939 asked Fr Patten to take the children from his Jolly Tinners Home at St Hilary, and thus began St Hilary's in Walsingham; his book Twenty Years at St. Hilary was published in 1935, before he founded the orphanage. Walker, Vera E inscribed on vellum the Book of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham, completed 1926. walking pilgrimage from London, first Aug 1935; it was not 1936 as sometimes given: error perpetuated from Fr Stephenson in his Walsingham Way, p 237, although he himself had been on it; Fr Stephenson's description. Walsingham Association, The founded by the Roman Catholic Shrine in 1933 to encourage pilgrimage and devotion. Walsingham College Trust Association (Ltd) or WCTA Ltd formed 1936. Walsingham Review successor of Our Lady's Mirror; see the OLM website. Walsingham Shrine and its Works, The scanned copies of both editions on Publications website: 1948 and 1950. Walsingham Way, The (1) title of book on the history of Walsingham and life of Fr Patten by Fr Colin Stephenson (1970; reprinted 2008); (2) the pilgrim routes to Walsingham: see Leonard E Whatmore, Highway to Walsingham (1973); (3) Oxford English Dictionary gives first appearance of the term as meaning The Milky Way galaxy c.1878 in Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem ‘The Loss of the Eurydice’ but it goes back to medieval pilgrims who knew it as the Walsingham Way: as they saw it in the night sky it seemed to point towards Walsingham, indicating the right road; apart from its familiar uses in our Walsingham context, it occasionally appears in other literature as an alternative title for the Milky Way. Ward, Ruth Lay Guardian from 2003; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Hilary stall on north side of chancel. Warner, Bishop Martin Clive Guardian from 1993; Administrator 1993-2002; Master of the Guardians 2006-16; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John Vianney (Curé d’Ars) and Our Lady stalls on south side of chancel; Bishop of Whitby 2010-12; Bishop of Chichester from 2012. WCTA Ltd or Walsingham College Trust Association (Ltd), formed 1936. weather-vane "the golden figure of St Gabriel" has been on the tower of the Shrine Church since it was built 1938: blew down in a storm Christmas Eve 1977 and was restored; restored again 2019; there was a statue of St Gabriel in the medieval shrine. Welcome Centre part of the Milner Wing, telling the story of Walsingham in words, pictures and a specially-commissioned film. wells next to the Holy House is the well discovered during digging in 1931 and which was therefore incorporated into the building; iron gate put in 1934; well deepened in 1991 to safeguard water supply; statue is of Our Lady of Sudbury (sometimes called Our Lady of the Smile), by James and Lilian Dagless; statue at Sudbury was installed in 1937; another copy at South Creake; in pre-1931 pilgrimages sprinklings took place at the holy wells in the Abbey grounds, on Wednesdays, the day that the grounds were open to the public; photographs. Wells, Fr Oswald Bertie b 10 May 1918; d 8 Mar 2001; Guardian 1960-66; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Anne stall on north side of chancel; Franciscan Father Guardian 1959-66. Weston, (David) Wilfrid (Valentine) Guardian 1980-84; Abbot of Nashdom 1974-84; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John stall on north side of chancel. Whatmore, Leonard E author of Highway to Walsingham (1973), reconstructing the Walsingham pilgrim routes, with sketch maps, and with references to the road in poetry, song and drama. Whitby, Edward Otway Humphrey d 27 Sept 1948; Founding Priest Guardian 1931-48; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Anne stall on north side of chancel; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 107; and see his biography in the CLA Oxford Prophets Series (1983); and see Michael Yelton, The Twenty One (2009), pp 85-87; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Whitehead, Fr Michael Hutton d 22 May 2018; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1981-84; Guardian 1984-2009; Registrar 1985-2009; Guardian Emeritus 2009-18; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Patrick stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Whitmore, Leonard Arthur b 17 Sept 1913 d 25 Apr 1985; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 115; carilloner and beadle 1957-82; Lay Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-85. Whittemore, Professor Thomas 1871-1950; Honorary Lay Guardian 1946-50; American archaeologist and historian; founder of the Byzantine Institute of America in 1930. Willan, Doris MBE d 20 Feb 2020; Dame of the Order of Our lady of Walsingham 1987-2020; photograph. Williams, Miss Dorothy Winifred b 6 Feb 1908; d 28 Feb 1991; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-91; Assistant Matron of St Hilary's 1948-69 where she was affectionately known as 'Miss Will'; buried at Warham All Saints [not Warham St Mary's], Norfolk; photographs. Williams, Fr Harri Parish Priest of Walsingham from 2018. Williams, Archbishop Rowan preached at the National Pilgrimage 2004. Wilson, The Revd Sir George Percy Maryon Maryon- [12th bt] b 22 Feb 1897; d 11 July 1965; Guardian 1935-65; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St George stall on north side of chancel; photograph. Wilson, Fr W G de Lara d 14 Aug 1964; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960- 64; designed insignia for the Order. Wizard name of Fr Lingwood’s dog, painted in St Hugh’s chapel; this is possibly incorrectly described in the Shrine's Pocket Guide as Sir Winston Churchill’s ‘black dog’ of depression. Wodehouse, Fr Roger b 24 Sept 1890; d 18 Dec 1959; Founding Priest Guardian 1931-35 and 1950-59; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Anne stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Wood, Charles Lindley see Viscount Halifax Woodward, Dr George Ratcliffe vicar of Walsingham 1882-1888; see John E Barnes, George Ratcliffe Woodward (1996); buried, like his wife, in Walsingham churchyard, although the exact location is now unknown; famous as hymnologist, reviver of plainsong and author of many well- known Christmas carols. Woolf, Dr David A Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2012. top of page Yabsley, Mrs Helen d 1995; second wife of Percy Yabsley [below]; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1981-95. Yabsley, Percy d 1980; husband of Helen Yabsley [above]; Lay Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1967-80; retired to Walsingham and did many woodworking jobs for the Shrine including a lectern in his first wife's memory, simple stations on the Shrine Church pillars, panelling in the Chapel of the Holy Spirit and legilium in Guild of All Souls Chapel. Yelton, Michael author of many books on Anglo-Catholic history, including the definitive biography of Fr Patten; for those books of particular Walsingham interest see Bibliography. Yorkshire Pilgrimages First Yorkshire Pilgrimage 29-31 May 1928. top of page

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z