1061 Richeldis's vision of Our Lady, and the building of the Holy Housec 1153 The Augustinian Priory of Walsingham was founded by Geoffrey de Faverches1347-8 The Franciscan Friary was founded1538 The Augustinian Priory of Walsingham was dissolved: the image of Our Lady was taken to London and probably burnt there
Outline histories of pilgrimage at the Shrine from the earliest times are found in many of the books mentioned on the Bibliography page of this website. Both Michael Yelton, for his definitive biography of Fr Patten (2006), and Michael Rear for his comprehensive history of Walsingham from the pre-Christian era to the present day (2011, 2nd edn 2019), used the Shrine archives extensively: both books are excellent introductions to Fr Patten and his Restoration of the Shrine.Below is a timeline of key dates in the history and life of the restored Shrine.
1921, 19 JanuaryFr Alfred Hope Patten was instituted to the living of Great and Little Walsingham with Houghton St GilesFr Patten preferred to use his second Christian name of 'Hope' rather than Alfred. In the late Victorian era the name 'Hope' was found as a baptismal name for both boys and girls. Addressing him later as a priest, people would use 'Fr Patten', as in those days a priest's Christian name was not generally used. But his custom of signing and using 'A. Hope Patten' led to his name often being interpreted as a double-barrelled one without a hyphen*: 'Hope' as a Christian name, for men at least, had by then all but disappeared and was more thought of as a surname, hence the confusion in a name so frequently spoken and written about. (If he had been called Alfred John Patten the situation would never have arisen.) Consequently, after his death, he was increasingly referred to as 'Fr Hope Patten', and both forms have been in regular use. These websites use ‘Fr Patten’ throughout. *In his Preface to the reprint of Fr Stephenson’s Walsingham Way his executor Fr Colin Reid appears to have hyphenated the surname, but this was a printing error.1921an image of Our Lady was carved, a copy of the figure on the seal of themedieval Priory1922, 6 Julythis image of Our Lady was blessed by Fr Alban Baverstock and set up in St Mary’s, the parish church (note that one source has given this date as 6 July1921, which isstill occasionally found, perpetuated from that source: Fr Patten’s own recollectionsof the day give proof, if any were needed, of the correct date)1924, 21 MarchThe house called The Beeches in Holt Road and its grounds purchased for pilgrimage accommodation (the house being renamed the Stella Maris Hospice, now called Stella Maris House)1925, 20 AugustSociety of Our Lady of Walsingham founded1926, Januaryfirst issue of Our Lady's Mirror1928first Pilgrims' Manual published1931formation of the first College of Guardians 1931the Holy House [the Shrine] and its covering building were built1931, 10 Octoberthe Shrine bells were Blessed and Baptised by Bishop O’Rorke1931, 15 Octoberthe Holy House blessed, Mass said in it for the first time, and then the image of Our Lady was solemnly translated from the parish church to the Holy House: details of the Translation1931Priest Associates (or Priests Associate) of the Holy House founded: note that this date is sometimes given as 1927, the reason being that thephrase 'Priest Members of the Society' was used in a 1927 Our Lady's Mirror and was misinterpreted later as the foundation date of the PAHH:this error was copied as definitive in a much later OLM, and in turn taken and published by Fr Colin Stephenson in Walsingham Way, his biography ofFr Patten 1932, 11 Februaryfirst formal meeting of the new College of Guardians, held in the Vestry Room of S Magnusby London Bridge (the Rector: Fr Fynes-Clinton)1932, 15 Octoberthe first anniversary of the opening of the Holy House observed as the Feast of theTranslation of Our Lady of Walsingham1932, 19 Octoberthe Guardians meeting at Walsingham “do hereby form ourselves into the College ofthe Guardians of the Holy House and Sanctuary of Our Lady of Walsingham” under a newly-prepared formal constitution1933The Halifax Altar presented by Lord Halifax for use in the Shrine grounds: replaced 2005 by the Altar of the Mysteries of Light1934Enid Chadwick came to live in Walsingham1938, 6 JuneWhit Monday: the enlarged Pilgrimage [Shrine] Church was opened and blessed in the presence of crowds of pilgrims; a Whit Monday pilgrimage has been held ever since; order of service1939Children from St Hilary’s (Cornwall) Children’s Home taken in by Fr Patten, eventually settling in ‘The Falcons’, a house in Cleaves Drive, renamed St Hilary’s 1947The Sisters of the Society of St Margaret came to Walsingham1952, 15 Octoberthe 21st anniversary of the Translation: legend has it that Fr Patten made agreat observance of this 'birthday', as he called it, as he felt that he might not live to see the Silver Jubilee in 19561956, 13-15 OctoberCelebrations for the Silver Jubilee of the Translation 1956Fr Derrick Lingwood left Walsingham1956Hospice extension completed (the building on the village side of the arch,later replaced by the Milner Wing)1956Sisters’ new Convent buildings completed1957, 9 FebruarySisters’ new chapel dedicated1958, 11 AugustFr Patten died1958, 14 AugustFr Patten's funeral1959new Comper reredos installed in the Holy House as a memorial to Fr Patten1960The Order of Our Lady of Walsingham founded1961The Walsingham Review replaced Our Lady's Mirror1964North Cloister of the Shrine Church built as a memorial to Fr Patten1964, OctoberWalsingham railway station and line closed1965Enid Chadwick painted the effigy of Fr Patten (on north side of the Shrine, near the well)1967, MarchSecond Refectory opened (a prefabricated building, where the Milner Wing is now)1972South Cloister added, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Restoration of the Shrine in the parish church; also called the Jubilee Cloister1977St Hilary’s Children’s Home closed1980Archbishop Robert Runcie preached at the National Pilgrimage, the first archbishop to visit the Shrine officially since Fr Patten’s Restoration 1985St Joseph's opened by the Duchess of Kent1987Enid Chadwick died1990Richeldis House opened by Mrs Graham Leonard (wife of the then Bishop of London)1993Stella Maris Hospice renamed Stella Maris House2001Third Refectory and Norton Room opened by Princess Alexandra2002Barn Chapel opened2005Blessing of the new Shrine Gardens (completely redesigned 2004 by Tessa Hobbs)2005Altar of the Mysteries of Light built in the Shrine Gardens, replacing the Halifax Altar2006The Quiet Garden opened (designed by Tessa Hobbs)2006Celebrations for the 75th Anniversary of the Translation2008Milner Wing built and in use2009 Holt Road entrance gate named The Brandie Gate (Arch) in honour of Fr Beau Brandie2009Milner Wing officially opened by The Duke of Edinburgh2011Celebrations for the 950th Anniversary of the medieval foundation 2013St Augustine’s restored, with the Eric Kemp Library and the Marian Library2018, 18 SeptemberThe Ecumenical Covenanttop of page