Archive Select Index

F G H I J

Faircloth, Kenneth d 10 Nov 2004; village photographer who also acted as Shrine photographer; in his time a feature of the Saturday night processions was the arrival next morning outside his shop of first proofs of what he had taken of almost everyone in the procession as it passed him - these were then available for purchase. Falcons, The house in Cleaves Drive built by the Dagless family, sold to the Shrine 1944 for Children's Home; later renamed St Hilary's. Farrer, Michael b 4 July 1934; d 10 Mar 2010; pupil at the Sanctuary School 1944-48 (see reminiscences); writer on Anglo-Catholicism and co-founder of the Anglo-Catholic History Society; 2001 lectured to the Society on 'Alfred Hope Patten: His Place in the Catholic Revival', later reproduced as a pamphlet; his last book, One Part of London: Aspects of Anglo-Catholicism in Camden (2009), contains passing references to Fr Patten and many others connected with Walsingham. Feilden and Mawson architectural firm working on Shrine buildings in1966. Fellows Fr Patten sometimes referred to the Guardians as Fellows of the College of Guardians. Fellows, Roy d 23 June 2006; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1971-74; Guardian 1974-99; Administrator 1987-93; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Gabriel stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Ferrier, Mrs Dorothy d 3 Dec 1972; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1953-72; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 111-112; widow of Fr Douglas Ferrier [below]; ran the Shrine Shop for 27 years. Ferrier, Fr Douglas d 23 Sept 1939; vicar Shadwell, Leeds, 1917-39, who brought many prewar pilgrimages; husband of Dorothy Ferrier [above]. Fisher, Claude MBE KSG b 4 June 1891; d 14 May 1985; local historian and author of several books about Walsingham. Fisher, Leslie Gray sometime General Secretary of the Catholic League and member of the Fraternity of Our Lady de Salve Regina, parish guild of St Magnus the Martyr. Fond du Lac, Bishop of see Bishop Brady foot pilgrimage 1935 first walking pilgrimage from London, Aug 1935; it was not 1936 as sometimes given: error perpetuated from Fr Stephenson in his Walsingham Way, p 237, although he himself had been on it; Fr Colin Stephenson's description. Foundation Gardens before the South Cloister was built 1972 the chapels on the south side had outside walls, and from the chapel of St Thomas and St Philip Neri a door led out into the garden from which one could see ancient foundations under the Shrine; hence the title given to these gardens for a time. Francis, Fr Graham d 4 Jan 2020; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1987-2020. Frary, Mrs Bessie L Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1964-78; wife of William Frary [below]. Frary, William b 1904; d 15 Aug 1953; gardener, verger, beadle and carilloner until his death, and one of the Shrine's most valuable early helpers; the Pieta now fixed near his home by the garden entrance to St Anne's was raised in his memory: it was originally free standing like the Stations and placed near the Pilgrim Hall; the Frary family has continued close connections with the Shrine, and one of William's daughters has worked for the Shrine for over sixty years. Friends of Walsingham founded 1957/8, chiefly as a fund-raising organisation; later superseded by the Shrine’s other member organisations. Friends of Walsingham Occasional Paper, The 1955-61; journal that overlapped with Our Lady's Mirror and the Walsingham Review; see the OLM website.. Friends' Meeting House before being converted from an old barn to a Pilgrim Refectory and dormitory in the 1930s, the building now known as the Pilgrim Hall had been used as a Salvation Army Citadel, and after that, at the time the property was acquired, it was a Friends’ Meeting House. Fynes-Clinton, Fr Henry Joy b 6 May 1875 [his birth not registered until 1876, hence the birth date sometimes wrongly found as 1876]; d 4 Dec 1959; Founding Priest Guardian 1931; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 97-98; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John stall on north side of chancel; the chapel of the Death on the Cross is Fr Fynes-Clinton's family chantry; photograph in Guardians Gallery; and see his biography by Brooke Lunn and Jeremy Haselock in the CLA Oxford Prophets Series no 7 (1983); see A T John Salter, The Anglican Papalist: A Personal Portrait of Henry Joy Fynes-Clinton (2012); Michael Walsh, The Catholic League see Sir Geoffrey de Clinton. top of page   gable image from 1931 there has been an image of Our Lady on the West Front of the Shrine; the original was an image of Our Lady of Paris, a flat cut-out intended to be temporary: replacement first suggested in 1961 by Fr Colin Stephenson; 1966 he replaced it by the present statue of Our Lady, given by him personally from gifts to mark silver jubilee of his priesthood; the first image can now be seen on the outside wall of what is now called the Pilgrim Hall, facing the east end of the Shrine church; modern photographs. Gabriel weather-vane "the golden figure of St Gabriel" has been on the tower of the Shrine Church since it was built 1938: blew down in a storm Christmas Eve 1977 but was restored; there was a statue of St Gabriel in the medieval shrine; restored again 2019. Gainford, [3rd] Baron d 4 April 2013; Lay Guardian 1979-98; Guardian Emeritus 1998-2004; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Clare stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery.. Galitzine, Prince Vladimir Emmanuelovich b 5 June 1884; d 13 July 1954; Honorary Lay Guardian 1946-54; his wife had the unfortunate distinction of being the first victim of the London Blitz. Garden, Ian Harrison Lay Guardian 1996-2012; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Joseph stall on north side of chancel. gardens, Shrine there have always been gardens laid out around the Shrine buildings, and always well maintained, by William Frary, Percy Yabsley and many other gardeners; 2004 complete redesign by Tessa Hobbs: blessed Easter Tuesday 2005; 2006 Quiet Garden (also designed by Tessa) on south side of Shrine Church, accessed through South Cloister; and see Parcevall Hall. Garrett, Captain one of the four laymen carrying the canopy in the procession of the Blessed Sacrament at the Centenary Pilgrimage, 1933. G A S Chapel (Guild of All Souls' Chapel: The Chantry Chapel of St Michael and the Holy Souls) The Guild had been trying without success to find a site for a chantry chapel since 1873; architect Laurence King, who was also Warden of the Guild at that time; foundation stone laid 24 June 1965 by Bishop Robert Mortimer of Exeter; consecrated 13 October 1965 by Bishop William Brady of Fond du Lac; Chantry Priests: 1974 Fr W Hum; 1977 Fr E T C Joyce; 1982 Fr Cyril Thomson; 1991 Fr Geoffrey E Miller; 2007 Fr Allan D Buik; 2012 Fr Paul Lockett; 2018 Fr Andrew Greany. Genders, Bishop Anselm blessed the site of the new St Joseph's Wing 6 Dec 1984 (see Walsingham Review Easter 1985); Mrs Nancy Thomson turned the first spade of earth. Gibbes, Nicholas see Archimandrite Nicholas Gill, Fr Arthur John Colin Burke d 20 July 1983; Guardian 1953-83; Registrar 1958-73; Master of the Guardians 1973-82; d 20 July 1983; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 90-91; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Patrick stall on north side and St Columba, St Cuthbert and Our Lady stalls on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Gillett, H Martin Roman Catholic local historian and archaeologist, and author of several books about Walsingham; one of the Founders of the Ecumenical Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary. God's House of St John one of the names Fr Patten used briefly for his vision of a priests' College ("for seven impecunious and aged priests") as an ancillary to the Shrine; he had the idea from the very beginning but although it was tried at various times during his life, it never succeeded, largely because he had unrealistic expectations of their usefulness to the Shrine’s work. Golden Book, The book recording the names of all the contributors to the cost of building the Holy House in 1931. Gregorios of Thyateira, The Most Reverend Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira and Great Britain Ecumenical Guardian from 1997. Gribben, Fr John Gibson CR Guardian 1993-2019; Guardian Emeritus from 2019; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Augustine stall on north side of chancel. Guardians see The Guardians Guardians, Honorary Chapter agreed to appoint them 1946; The Guardians. Guardians, Honorary Ecumenical these are occasionally appointed, e.g. Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira 1997. Guardians Emeriti Chapter agreed to appoint them 1946; Fr Reginald Kingdon was the first; the idea originated from his unwillingness to retire despite infirmity, and this new category allowed him to remain involved as a Guardian Emeritus, while adding a new Guardian; when Mrs Barbara Marlow retired in 2012 she became the first able to be described as a Guardian Emerita; The Guardians. Guardians' Gallery a collection of photographs of most of the deceased Guardians and some of the Honorary Guardians was started in 1950; these hang in the corridor leading from the College Refectory; photographs of deceased Guardians; group photographs. Guardians' Processional Cross carried at the head of a Guardians' procession; in the procession at Fr Patten's funeral the cross was inadvertently carried in the wrong place. Guild of All Souls' Chapel (“G A S”) (The Chantry Chapel of St Michael and the Holy Souls) The Guild had been trying without success to find a site for a chantry chapel since 1873; architect Laurence King, who was also Warden of the Guild at that time; foundation stone laid 24 June 1965 by Bishop Robert Mortimer of Exeter; consecrated 13 October 1965 by Bishop William Brady of Fond du Lac; Chantry Priests: 1974 Fr Walter Hum; 1977 Fr E T C Joyce; 1982 Fr Cyril Thomson; 1991 Fr Geoffrey E Miller; 2007 Fr Allan D Buik; 2012 Fr Paul Lockett; 2018 Fr Andrew Greany. Guild of Our Lady of Walsingham started 1923: became Society of Our Lady of Walsingham 1925. Gummer, John Selwyn, former MP; Lay Guardian 1983-2001; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Hilary stall on north side of chancel. Gurney family Eustace Gurney was the owner of Walsingham Abbey in Fr Patten's time, and it remains in the family's possession. top of page Halifax, [2nd] Viscount (Charles Lindley Wood) b 7 June 1839; d 19 Jan 1934; Founding Lay Guardian 1931; he was the only Guardian never to visit Walsingham and he never signed the Guardians’ Roll, but he was allocated a stall, which was St Edward stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; see his biography by Roger Greenacre in the CLA Oxford Prophets Series no 3 (1983); and see William Davage, Anglo-Catholicism and Aristocracy (reprint of First Clumber Lecture, 2009, available from Worksop Priory). Halifax altar A page of history leading to three pages of photographs; two pictures showing part of the refurbished altar are on the Anchoresses page. Hand, Fr Eustace 1945 did wall-painting of the martyrdom of St Thomas in the chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury & St Philip Neri; elder brother of Archbishop David Hand of Papua New Guinea (who was the Celebrant at the 1984 National). Hanson, Brian John Taylor CBE Lay Guardian 1984-2014; Lay Guardian Emeritus from 2014; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Edward stall on north side of chancel. Harding, Fr Laurence G d 23 Mar 1981; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 112; Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1965-81. Harris, Fr Rice Alforth Evelyn d 12 Oct 1972; Honorary Guardian; he is commemorated by the statue of St Joseph in St Joseph's Wing. Harvey, Lady Mary (1920-93) with her husband Major Thomas Harvey (1918-2001) was a great benefactor to St Hilary's and provided retirement accommodation nearby for Barty and Miss Will; photograph; and see St Hilary's. Hastings, the Misses lived in Buxted, Sussex; moved to Walsingham to help Fr Patten in the early days of the restoration of the Shrine. Hatcham Crucifix in the Shrine courtyard (formerly called the Sunken Garden) since 1931 on the north side of the Church, on the wall which now backs onto the Guild of All Souls Chapel; was at first said to have come from St James's Hatcham, the church of Fr Arthur Tooth, but there is apparently no evidence for this; see Joyce Coombs, Judgement on Hatcham (1969), pp 15, 239 and 246; roof over it in 1931, which later deteriorated; new roof put over it 1996; and see Fr Arthur Tooth. hatchments lozenge-shaped boards painted with coats of arms high up in the Shrine Church near the Holy House; put up to commemorate some of the early Guardians; the dates are the dates of their time as Guardians: hence many start with 1931. Have a Go radio programme presented by Wilfred Pickles which visited Walsingham in 1954. Haydon, Fr Keith Frank Parish Priest of Walsingham, 1995-99. Hayward, John designed the stained glass in the Guild of All Souls' Chapel, and the sculpture of St Michael outside (executed by Gordon Beningfield); and also the East Window in St Mary’s church. Hazlewood, Bishop William Peter Guy Guardian from 2019; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Gabriel stall on south side of chancel; Bishop of Lewes from 2020. Hickleton, Yorkshire seat of Lord Halifax, and the place in which the Halifax Altar was first used. High Altar of the Shrine Church is the altar of the Fourth Glorious Mystery: The Assumption (1938: The College). Hill, Richard b 25 Nov 1913; d 22 Nov 2003; Lay Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1976-2003 and its Registrar 1985-97; 1972 came to Walsingham to manage the Shrine shop; retired from shop in 1988 but continued as a server, frequently MC, in the Shrine; vestment maker whose skill was known far beyond Walsingham; died in the then Sue Ryder Home at the old Walsingham Vicarage; buried in St Mary's churchyard. Hobbs, Tessa garden designer; 2004 redesigned the Shrine gardens, and in 2006 the Quiet Garden on south side of Shrine Church; Tessa's website. Holdridge, Fr Bernard Lee Guardian 1997-2010; Guardian Emeritus from 2010; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Laurence stall on north side of chancel. Hole, Fr Donald author of England's Nazareth. Holy Cross, St Pancras Fr Patten was curate to Fr Francis Baverstock there 1913-15. Holy House for details of the opening on 15 Oct 1931 see start page. Holy Land projected pilgrimage 1930. Holy Spirit Chapel name sometimes used for chapel of St Columba and the Celtic Saints (The Descent of the Holy Ghost), as it is the chapel of the Third Glorious Mystery: The Descent of the Holy Spirit (1938: Guild of Servants of the Sanctuary). Honorary Guardians Chapter agreed to appoint them 1946; The Guardians. Hope, Archbishop David Michael (Lord Hope of Thornes) Guardian 1978–2005; Master of the Guardians 1982-93; Guardian Emeritus from 2006; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Francis, St Columba and Our Lady stalls on south side of chancel; Bishop of Wakefield 1985-91; Bishop of London 1991-95; Archbishop of York 1995-2005. Hope Patten (see more under Important Dates) Fr Patten preferred to use his second Christian name of 'Hope' rather than his first, Alfred; at that time 'Hope' was a baptismal name for both boys and girls; as a priest, people would use 'Fr Patten', as in those days a priest's Christian name was not generally used; but his custom of signing and using 'A. Hope Patten' led to his name often being interpreted as a double-barrelled one without a hyphen: hence the confusion in a name so frequently spoken and written about; therefore after his death, he was increasingly referred to as “Fr Hope Patten” and still is today. (If he had been called Alfred John Patten the situation would never have arisen.) Hospice, The Stella Maris see under Stella Maris Howard, Graham Member of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham from 2011; his photographic albums of all major Shrine events for many years are a valuable part of archival history. Howgate, Ian (1910-1989) worked for Faith-Craft and painted The Coronation of Our Lady on the ceiling of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel (1938). Huddleston, Bishop Ernest Urban Trevor CR d 20 Apr 1998; Guardian 1959-60; never installed as he resigned on becoming Bishop of Masasi and went back to Africa before it could be arranged; remained Honorary Guardian 1960-98; St Anne stall on north side of chancel; did not sign Guardians' Roll. Hum, Fr Walter b 20 Jan 1908; d 4 Mar 1993; Chantry Priest 1974-77. Husbands, Fr Philip Harold d 5 October 1987; Guardian 1957-83; Guardian Emeritus 1983-86; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), pp 98-99; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; All Saints stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Hussey, Alice an early member of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham, in whose memory the SOLW banner was given in 1928. top of page Ignatius, Father (of Llanthony) Fr Ignatius's Abbot's crook was given to the Shrine in 1932 and was passed on to the Father Ignatius Memorial Trust in 1999. important dates in the Shrine's history: list of key dates from 1061. incense Although Fr Stephenson in his Walsingham Way implies that Fr Patten introduced incense to the parish church, it is well documented that it was his predecessor, Fr Reeves, who did so; see a boat boy's reminiscences. inscription in the wall below the Holy House window explained. top of page James, Bishop Graham Richard Honorary Guardian from 2005; Bishop of Norwich 1999-2017. Jarrett, Betty Lay Guardian from 2003; signature in the fourth column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Wilfrid stall on south side of chancel. Jones, Bishop Noël Debroy b 25 Dec 1932; d 28 Aug 2009; Honorary Guardian 1996-2009; Bishop of Sodor and Man 1989-2003. Jubilee Cloister another name for the South Cloister, added in 1972 to mark the Golden Jubilee [of the setting-up of the Shrine in the parish church]. jubilees Fr Patten was keen to celebrate anniversaries of milestones in the Shrine's development, always thinking that he might not live to see the next one; major celebrations of the 1931 Translation and of the opening of the Shrine Church in 1938; in earlier years there were also jubilees of the setting up of the Shrine in the parish church in 1922; Fr Patten often used 1921 when dating the restoration in what he wrote about the Shrine, even verging on the misleading in some of his statements. Julian, Sister and Mother d 25 Nov 2000; cooked for the Hospice for 25 years and was Sacristan at St Mary’s; Reverend Mother 1973-84; one of the three sisters who arrived from Haggerston 16 Apr 1947; The Sisters in Walsingham; photograph. top of page

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z