The early Archives photographic collection, part of which is shown on this website, is sadly not extensive and relies heavily on the photographs taken by Fr Patten himself, by Stanley Smith (the Bursar and Pilgrimage Secretary for 42 years), by Claude Fisher and by Kenneth Faircloth, the village photographer. Kenneth took photographs for the Shrine’s purposes, and was also well known by pilgrims for providing pictures of themselves in the Saturday night processions.On this website the larger collections shown are Fr Patten’s own albums of the building of the Holy House (1931) and the Church (1938), Fr Kenneth Pearson’s album of the latter (1938), the Guardians’ Gallery (begun in 1950) and Fr Patten’s Funeral (1958). The press report pages for 1931 and 1938 have some of our archive photographs alongside.As with all photographs on this website, many of these are still in copyright, owned by various parties, so please check and seek permission before downloading.The copyright-free photographs below, taken in Walsingham between 1923 and 1927 , came into the archives in 2007.
1924 The site just purchased. The Beeches (now Stella Maris House) in the distance, Knight Street to the right, the Abbey wall to the left, and a wall on the corner of the gardens where the Holy House will be built in 1931, and the church in 1938.
The Beeches (Stella Maris) gardens
Sprinkling (sometimes called bathing) by the Abbey’s Holy Wells before the Shrine’s Holy House and its covering building, with well, were built in 1931. Sprinkling was only available on Wednesdays, when the Abbey grounds were open to the public.
Scenes in the village, and (below) the earliest known photograph(1923) of a priets’ pilgrimage procession