The Guardians of the Shrine were formed as a College in 1931 but their distinctive insignia only gradually evolved.The Master's silver gilt chain (seen on the left) was presented by Fr Fynes-Clinton in 1933. The next item to be acquired was the blue mantle, the design based on that of a Fraternity in Bruges. They were not worn until 7 November 1938, the day of the first installation of Guardians. This is why in pictures of the great procession on 6 June earlier that year for the opening of the new Shrine Church the lay Guardians are seen walking in everyday suits.The stars were struck in 1947. These are in silver gilt for full Guardians and gilt for the Honorary and Emeritus.
The College of Guardians June 1955
The arms of the College are in the centre and the star is worn on a black and white ribbon. On less formal occasions, when mantles are not worn, the star is still worn over ordinary priest or lay clothes, at Walsingham and at any functions connected with the Shrine.The inscription on the star reads:CUSTOS S DOMUS D N DE WALSINGHAMCUSTOS S[ANCTAE] DOMUS D[OMINAE] N[OSTRAE] DE WALSINGHAMor for Honorary Guardians:CUSTOS HON S DOMUS D N DE WALSINGHAMCUSTOS HON[ORARIUS/ORARIA] S[ANCTAE] DOMUS D[OMINAE] N[OSTRAE] DE WALSINGHAMAt some time in the past one batch of new medals was incorrectly struck, and a few of the full Guardians' silver stars have the HON in their wording.
r Patten’s Key to the photograph aboveStanding l to r: Fr Lester Pinchard; Fr John Twisaday; Fr Lingwood (Bursar); Fr Crusha; Lord Norton; Fr Roger Wodehouse; Fr Colin Stephenson; Sir William Milner; Fr Raynes CR; The Hon Patrick Maitland MP; Mr George Long; Sir John Shaw;Sitting: Fr Fynes-Clinton and Fr Hope Patten (Master).