the seal of the medieval priory
The Book of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham


The Society of Our Lady of Walsingham was inaugurated on 20 August 1925 and this book, written on vellum by Vera E Walker, was completed in 1926. It contains twelve richly illuminated pages (below), followed by eleven less illuminated pages (the first six shown below), and finally twenty-three pages written in normal handwriting, mostly as signatures of new members dating from 1925 until the book was virtually filled up. (The last page of signatures is actually on a blank page at the very beginning of the volume.) There are no later dates, so it is not certain when it ended, but the last six surnames are Willoughby, Chapman, Taylor, Swindlehurst, Worthy and Brackley (all ladies). The book was finely bound by Bumpus Ltd of Oxford Street, London. It is mentioned in Our Lady's Mirror January 1926 and Our Lady's Mirror April 1926.
the book measures 5.25" x 7.25" : scroll down to see all the pages

cover
 
first illuminated page
 
second illuminated page
 
third illuminated page
 
fourth illuminated page
 
fifth illuminated page
 
sixth illuminated page
 
illuminated list of names
 
illuminated list of names
 
illuminated list of names

top of page:: Home Page :: return to Our Lady's Mirror January 1926 :: return to Our Lady's Mirror April 1926