Dick Crowe's return to Walsingham in May 2008
Crowe (seen here (left) aged 12) visited Walsingham at the end of May 2008
for the first time since he left in 1945. He was in the original party
of children who arrived in Walsingham from Fr Bernard Walke's parish in
St Hilary, Cornwall, in 1939. This was the nucleus of what we have always
known as our St Hilary's.
at the kitchen window of Fr Patten's Vicarage. The children lived with Fr Patten for the first few years of their stay. The house is currently being converted into houses and apartments, and needless to say the kitchen did not look like this in the 1940s.
this photograph of the children
from St Hilary was printed in
Our Lady's Mirror:
Miss Treby, the matron,
(second from right in the back row)
came from Corwall with them
and stayed as matron for several years
(above) Dick and his granddaughter
with Father Philip.
Dick explaining to the Senior Sacristan
how things were done in the 40s.
|return to Reminiscences page|