Our Lady's Mirror
Our Lady's Mirror
was created by Fr Patten to keep members of the Society of Our Lady of
Walsingham in touch with one another.
As well as being the means of telling them what was going on in Walsingham,
it enabled him to circulate homilies and devotions, to acknowledge gifts,
to accept intercessions and thanks to Our Lady, and constantly to appeal
for money for many purposes - towards some new development in his restoration
of the Shrine, or to support his many charitable works in and around the
village, or simply to fund the Shrine's day-to-day expenses.
of the occasional updates on the progress of the Sanctuary School, the
Children's Home, the College of St Augustine and the Sisters are omitted,
but not because they are unimportant, and they are far from uninteresting.
However, to include them all on the website would double the size of these
pages, and there are also some issues of confidentiality for those still
living. Michael Yelton's biography of Fr Patten covers all these aspects
in some depth. Anyone wishing to read the relevant passages from the Mirror
can ask the archivist for copies.]
The edition dedicated as a memorial number to Fr Patten is the last of 1958.
link in the right hand side panel is to the FIRST issue of a particular
year of Our Lady's Mirror: from that page all others can be accessed.
The Winter Number is the first of the year, not the last.
In July 1955 the Friends of Walsingham Occasional Paper had appeared alongside the Mirror to be circulated occasionally to pilgrims and others who were not members of the Society. The final issue, numbered 12, was published in March 1961. For years it has been thought that number 3 in the series was missing and appeals have been made for a copy. Everyone who has the series has number 3 missing also, and now the set of original proofs has been found, which also contains no number 3. There are a few other cases of Walsingham publications having similar errors of dating editions, so we assume that in this case there simply never was a number 3.
The first edition of the Walsingham Review [left] came out in June 1961, and has continued with just the occasional change in format: the latest edition can now be read online. The early numbers had no photographs.
the Winter Number 1950 of the Mirror Fr Patten wrote: