the seal of the medieval priory
photographs of participants in the Shrine's early healing ministry, of the Well and of St Joseph's Wing
the modern logo

AT THE POOLS IN THE ABBEY GROUNDS BEFORE THE HOLY HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1931
at the pools in the Abbey grounds
at the pools in the Abbey grounds
at the pools in the Abbey grounds before 1931
at the pools in the Abbey grounds
at the pools in the Abbey grounds
at the pools in the Abbey grounds before 1931
THE WELL
the well, discovered in 1931
building the cover for the well
the well, discovered in 1931 during building work for the Holy House
September 1931: building the cover for the well, and the steps, looking liturgically east; before the Cloister was built in 1964 the wall seen on the left was the outer wall of the Shrine

Enid Chadwick's drawing of the well
at the well 1931
ABOVE TOP: 1931: first postcard of the well
BELOW: 1935: Enid Chadwick's drawing
1931: at the well
ST JOSEPH'S WING
Chapel Yard before St Joseph's
Chapel Yard before St Joseph's
Chapel Yard: before the creation of St Joseph's Wing
Bishop Anselm Genders blessing the site of St Joseph's 1984
The Duchess of Kent arriving
Mrs Nancy Thomson turning the first earth when Bishop Anselm Genders came to bless the site 16 Dec 1984
The Duchess of Kent arriving to open St Joseph's 1985, escorted by Fr Michael Whitehead and Stanley Smith
Fr Colven taking the service
The Duchess of Kent meeting Sister Julian
Fr Colven (Administrator) taking the service. The lady in pink next to Fr Whitehead is Diana Braithwaite, wife of Dr John Braithwaite (a Guardian): she read a lesson.
The Duchess of Kent meeting Sister Julian
statue of St Joseph in St Joseph's Wing
prayer card - front
prayer card - reverse

In the picture on the left a scroll on the wall records the statue's history.

It originally formed part of the Shrine of St Joseph in St Alban's, Fulham, and was made available to Walsingham to serve as a permanent memorial to Fr Rice Alforth Evelyn Harris, priest-in-charge of St Andrew's, Carshalton, 1926-59. It was renovated by his friends and presented to mark the centenary of his birth.

statue of St Joseph in St Joseph's Wing
TOP: prayer card to mark the opening of St Joseph's Wing
St Joseph's Wing plaque
plaque on opening of St Joseph's
the scroll hanging on the wall recording the statue's history
(measures 11" X 14": 28 cms X 34 cms)
the plaque recording the official opening of the Wing
(measures 19" width X 24" height: 48 cms X 61 cms)