Enid Chadwick: her work in and around the Shrine Church
Enid Chadwick came to Walsingham in 1934 and used her talents in the service of the Shrine from that year until the day before her death in 1987. From 1938 she devoted much of her time to beautifying the newly-built Shrine Church, and examples of most of the works listed below can still be seen in the Shrine today. (Where repainting and restoration has been needed it has usually followed her original designs.)
Her work in and around the Shrine included:
ROOF BOSSES: the heads of the six people most closely connected with the Restoration of the Shrine are set in the roof (for a photograph see Graham Howard's Photo Gallery on the Shrine's website: under the 'Favourite Images' album).
HATCHMENTS: lozenge-shaped boards painted with coats of arms high up in the Shrine Church near the Holy House commemorating some of the early Guardians.
GUARDIANS' STALLS: either the family coat of arms of the first Guardians to use each stall, or the College coat of arms.
EFFIGIES OF FR PATTEN, FR TOOTH AND BISHOP O'RORKE
CHAPELS: murals in the following chapels:
CRUCIFIX on the wall of the Chapter House of the Community of St Augustine: this room was off the Library in St Augustine's but was no longer needed when the Community was dissolved immediately after Fr Patten's death in 1958. It was used for a time as a counselling room for Mother Mary Magdalene but later the space was converted to living quarters and the wall was removed. She also painted the College coat of arms on another wall of the Chapter House, which similarly was removed when it was replaced by a window. This area was converted to a kitchen annexe in the newly-restored St Augustine's, 2013.
STATIONS OF THE CROSS
THE FRARY PIETA