return to Our Lady's Mirror home page

Our Lady's Mirror 1935

The Holy House from inside the church
The Holy House from inside the Church [not in this issue of OLM]
Summer Number 1935
Winter Number 1935; Autumn 1935
1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959


More pilgrims and visitors than ever have been coming to the Shrine this year, and the restricted accommodation in the outer Church has become a serious drawback when a large number comes. Somehow or other we must extend the present building or fasten three or four bays to the “East” and so make it possible for a modicum of comfort.

The Architects, Messrs. Milner & Craze, have drawn out plans for this extension, and we now want some kind friend or friends who have a real love for Our Lady and her National Shrine to come forward and give, or even loan, the necessary money.

The Romans, too, have been active and their pilgrimages to the Slipper Chapel are very frequent; they have opened a Chapel in the village, in addition to the Slipper Chapel. One supposes the conditions are not unlike those in the Holy Land, where the Orthodox and the Latins, the Armenians and other Easterns, all claim the Holy Sites and live together, treading on each other’s toes more or less frequently!

A delightful old house – the Martyr House – used until recently as the Post Office, has been purchased by a pilgrim, and is being adapted. The ground floor is to be a Restaurant and tea-room, with gardens and a Pilgrims’ rest room, and the other two floors are to be let as flats, with a small private garden attached for the residents. There will also be a garage.

The ancient arrow token of the Walsingham pilgrim has been restruck and is now on sale at the Sanctuary. It is a charming souvenir of the Holy House, in the form of an arrow with a minute representation of the Annunciation in a circle.

Miss Muriel Lloyd has resigned her secretaryship of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham after many years of very faithful and devoted work.

article: 'A Roman Catholic appreciation of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham' quoted from the Westminster Cathedral Chronicle, July 1935
There are no illustrations in this issue: one of Enid Chadwick's drawings is shown above (Holy House from inside the church)

top of page
for further details or copies of any part of the paper please contact the archivist