The following is a copy of the stone inscription placed in the walls of the Holy House
(outside, under the window) : translation and other text below


HOC : SACELLUM : A.S. : MLXI :
B. : M. : S. : V. : DEIPARAE : NUTU :
OB. : SS. : INCARNATIONIS : MYSTERIUM :

POSITUM :
S. : EDUARDO : DOMINO : REGE : CONFESSORE : ET : HUJUS :
MANERII : DOMINO :
ADHUC : ANNOS : XIX REGNANTE :
POSTHAC : ILLO : A : REGE : QUI : SPURCISSIMO : HABENDI :
AMORE : SAEVIIT :
(CUJUS : ANIMAE : PROPICIETUR : DEUS : )
FUNDITUS : EVERSUM :
NUNC : PRIMUM : A.S. : MCMXXXI : PONTIFICATUS : IX :
SMI : D : N : PII : XI : P : M :

REFECTUM :
GERENTIBUS : BERTRAMO : ANTISTITE : ECCLESIAM :
NORVICENSEM :
HOPE : PATTEN : PAROCHO : CURAM : WALSINGHAMIAE :
: A : M : D : G :


translation

This Shrine, founded in the year 1061 at the will of the Blessed Virgin Mother of God in honour of the mystery of the sacred Incarnation, St Edward, King and Confessor and the Lord of the Manor having reigned nineteen years, and afterwards utterly overthrown by the King who raged with the most foul love of gain (on whose soul may God have mercy) now for the first time in the year 1931 and the ninth year of the pontificate of our most holy Lord Pius XI. P.M. was restored, Bertram Bishop of the Church of Norwich, and Hope Patten parish priest of Walsingham holding office. A.M.D.G.


The Bishop of Norwich, outraged that the Pope's name appeared on this inscription, insisted that his own name be removed (one version has it that he asked for the Pope's name to be taken away). Bishop Pollock's name was not removed - the line was merely filled in with plaster. Years later the line was restored.

return to 1931 page
return to Our Lady's Mirror, Summer Number 1931